Tuesday 10 December 2013

Midweek Game Preview - Steelers vs Edinburgh Capitals 10/12/13

Tomorrow night, the Steelers take to Ice Sheffield for what has been dubbed 'Added Value Wednesday'. Call me a cynic, but it sounds to me like tickets weren't selling well, so they decided to get sponsors to throw loads of free stuff in to get people there. Expect a big 50/50 prize, lots of freebies, and a few shirt raffle prizes. Or as I call it, bribery.

I'm just kidding, if ticket sales were flagging its a really good idea to get people in.

There is actually an opposition, its not just a big social. We face an Edinburgh Capitals side who have seen a big upturn in fortunes in recent weeks, beating almost everybody put in front of them - this past weekend excluded. We should not simply expect a walkover, as this Caps team seems to have a backbone of sorts.

Team News
Well I'd like to say that we're back to full health. I'd like to bring you the news that everyone will play tomorrow night. I'd like to. But with zero news coming out of the club, I'd have a job. There was a very vague tweet today...
All the Steelers on the ice today at training. We counted them all out and all back in again.
All the Steelers. Hmm. Does that include the injured quartet of Robert Dowd, Dustin Kohn, Max Lacroix and Geoff Woolhouse? I wouldn't expect so. Hopefully the ten days since the victory over Fife have been enough to get Dowd and Kohn recovered from their concussions, as they should in no way be rushed back from concussion. Woolhouse? Maybe, if there was an ETA for his return I missed it, but I'd say with Doyle having played almost every second of the season, this won't be that relevant. Everyone who has spoken to or seen Lacroix has said it will be new year earliest. While I'd love him to be back, I still think it will be a few weeks.

And there's the big elephant in the room that is Rob Sirianni. A German news report last night claimed a deal was pretty much done and dusted for him to return to Italy. Again, nothing coming out of the club. Its all hushed tones, chinese whispers and "I know something you don't know"s at the minute. Will he play? Is he still a Steeler? I suppose you'll find out at warmup tomorrow night.

Prediction
Well it depends. The smaller venue of Ice Sheffield (with its pretty poor ice), a bribed (yes I'm kidding) audience, and what is considered uninspiring hockey...the Caps will fancy their chances, and will give us a hell of a game. Enough to beat us? I reckon not - although it depends how much of a team we have.

Liam's prediction: Sheffield Steelers 4-2 Edinburgh Capitals

Agree/disagree? Get in touch with your prediction

@FrozenSteelBlog
@IAmMcCausland
@TomWalkeden
@AwkwardGinge

No comments: