Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Opposition Bench: Cardiff Devils Double Header 21/22 December

We spoke to Cardiff Devils fan Mark Johncock about this weekend's double header.

So, a Steelers/Devils Home/Away weekend. Games between the two have historically gotten a little fruity. Do you enjoy the games with the Steelers more than, say, Nottingham or Belfast games?
Being my first year back with the Devils, it has been interesting seeing how the rivalries with various teams have developed over the past few seasons. As a kid, Steelers were always the team we loved to hate. I think this is still apparent but to a lesser extent. With the 'arena teams' coming to prominence (and picking up the vast majority of trophies), I think the rivalry between Steelers and Devils has dilluted a little. This is perhaps due to a new generation of fans and also the development of our battles with Coventry Blaze. Devils seem to have a lot of needle with Belfast right now and, as we move into a new arena soon, this can only be a good thing. However, for me, having grown up with the Steelers v Devils rivalry, it will always be the game I look forward to the most - particularly as most Devils fans (and ice hockey fans in general) love to hate Mr. Simms!
What's your view of Brent Pope, and the start he has made as coach? 
The recent changes have been well documented so I think ice hockey fans can form their own opinions. I've worked with both Brent and 'G', and have massive respect for both of them. Brent has coached me on the ice (I'm a netminder) and, from a personal point of view, he is a thorough coach. He is extremely knowledgeable, evaluates every area of the game and is very adept at motivating players. Brent cares about ice hockey and, in particular, the Devils. In terms of his start as a coach with the Devils, I think a bright start has been made. The style of play has changed and I think the additions of Tomas (Kurka) and Joonas (Liimatainen) have helped to develop this style. We are carrying the puck more and this suits the smaller ice pad we have. I believe the win percentage is around 53% and I can see this increasing over the coming weeks (hopefully with 2 wins this weekend!). 
 Who should the Steelers be worried about from the Devils' roster?
I'm not sure I should give out too much information! Everyone knows about Tomas Kurka but I think the Steelers fans will see the contribution across each of our lines. Every line has stepped up in recent weeks and the points have been shared out. As a result, it has been difficult for the opposition to tie down a consistent strategy. A major plus for the Devils is our Brit-pack. Fans will be aware of what Matthew Myers, Mark Richardson and Ben Davies can bring to the ice, but the likes of Rupert Quiney and Chris Jones are growing by the game. So in answer to the question.....Steelers should worry about every line! :)
Anyone from the Steelers give you cause for concern?

Nope, not really! Sorry, couldn't resist it!From the games I've seen (both home and away), Steelers appear to be a confidence team this year. Therefore, I think the important job for the Devils to shut down the likes of Siriani and Legue early on. Like the Devils, Steelers have a strong Brit-pack - I've always been a big fan of Jono (Phillips) and Dowd is naturally a big threat. Particularly at the motorpoint arena, I think concentration and work ethic are going to decide the game. I've written an article (which you can see in both the Steelers' and Devils' programmes this weekend) and selected an 'all-star squad', consisting of 2 players from each Elite League team. My Steeler choices were Legue and Dowd - so I'll pick those as the 'ones to watch'.
Any predictions?
Whenever any team is an import down, it makes any game a difficult proposition. However, Joe (Myers) would have gained alot of confidence from his performance versus Nottingham last weekend. I think the Devils' defensive performance is going to decide both games. We have confidence in the team and are scoring goals. Without predicting, I think both games will be close and it could be a 1-goal game on both nights. 

 What are your hopes for the rest of the season? 
I've always had a feeling the Devils will pick up the Challenge Cup this season. The draw has been fairly kind to us and, if we manage to see off Fife, I think we are capable of beating either Hull or Belfast over 2 legs. We have consistently qualified for the playoff weekend and I'd love us to finally break the finals hoo-doo.In terms of the club, I hope the rest of the season is an opportunity for development of a feel good factor. We have a quality set of players and I hope the majority are retained for next season. Most of the players seem to love Cardiff, and their team-mates, so retaining the main core of the team can only be a good thing. 
 Anything you'd like to promote?

I'd like to encourage everyone to come along to G's testimonial match at the Big Blue Tent on Sunday 23 February. Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, it is an opportunity to show your appreciation for his contribution to British Ice Hockey. Players like Brad Voth and Chris Frank have confirmed their attendance and it should be an evening of great entertainment. Final word.....I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks to Dan LaCosta (Devils' netminder) who has had to retire this week. Everyone at the organisation is heartbroken for Dan but his health is paramount. I'm sure Dan will successfully complete his MBA and excel at whatever he decides to do next. 
Big thanks to Mark for helping us with this. We are looking for regular contributions from other teams around the league, as we build towards giving a full insight towards the Elite League. Get in touch at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com for more details. Remember, the Steelers host the Devils at the Motorpoint on Saturday, in the live game on Premier Sports this week. The return game, in the BBT, in on Sunday.

No comments: