Friday 8 August 2014

Frozen Steel Meets: Cullen Eddy



We continue meeting the new team for 2014/15 in our latest interview.

The next contestant is our new defenceman, straight from the AHL, Cullen Eddy.


Frozen Steel: First of all, welcome to Sheffield! Lets get straight to the point. You are a 4 year AHLer coming straight to the EiHL. You are only 25 years old with probably at least a good 10 years plus ahead of you career wise. The questions on everybody's minds are these. What made you consider coming to Europe so early in your pro career? Why (in the end) the EIHL? Why the Steelers?
Cullen Eddy: Graduating college, I made a choice to either continue schooling or try to accomplish a dream that every kid playing hockey growing up has - playing in the NHL. The past 4 years I have tried to do that. The Philadelphia Flyers organization gave me the opportunity and unfortunately, I wasn't able to reach the NHL. I had a great time along the way making many memories and meeting a lot of wonderful people as well.

After this season Philly didn't qualify me and I wasn't finding the right opportunities in North America so I decided to make the jump to Europe. The UK presented me with the opportunity to further my education - as well as play hockey - so right away I was considering this opportunity, because not only was I going to be able to play the game I love, but I would be able to further my education for my career after hockey.

Looking at the different teams in the UK, I started to field offers from some teams, but after much consideration I decided to come to Sheffield because everybody I talked to had nothing but good things to say about the organization, the hockey, and the fans which is nice because if you haven't heard anything bad then its usually a good spot.

FSB: Did you know anything of our league before the club approached you? Did you speak to anybody before making the jump?
CE: I knew a little bit about the league but just some general stuff when my agent presented me with the offer i started to do more and more research about the UK and the hockey. I talked to some friends who have played in the league, who once again said nothing but good things.

FSB: You've been sold to us as a stay-at-home defenceman - is this a fair assessment, or do you feel you bring more to the team?
CE: I consider myself a good skating defenceman who makes a good first pass and covers the D zone more than the offensive Zone.  Coming from the AHL, I wasn't able to contribute a lot because the guys that are playing the power play and putting up points are the guys that are in positions for call ups and log a lot of minutes a night.  I do have an offensive side to my game - when I played in the ECHL I was able to contribute some more on the offensive side of things.  I look forward to whatever opportunity comes my way this upcoming season, whether it is more of a defensive role or offensive I look to help the overall team out rather than my own stats.

FSB: There's a story doing the rounds that you suffered a broken leg during a game, but carried on and completed the match. Is there any truth to that, and can you explain the story a bit?
CE: Haha, I saw the tweet earlier about that. Yes, there is truth to the story, during a game last christmas we were playing the Albany Devils, I was breaking the puck out and happened to tangle up with a player, and felt a sharp pain in my ankle. The ref blew the whistle, my trainer came out to the ice but as soon as he reached me I felt like I could get up and skate on my own.

I came to the bench and started to feel some pain, but my coached called my name and I jumped the boards and went out for my next shift. Something didn’t feel right but I was still able to play, but then I noticed my edge was gone so I needed to get my skate sharpened.  Once I took my skate off I then started to feel the pain but knew we were already short on D - I needed to finish the game. I shoved my foot back in my skate and finished a period and a half not 100%.

It wasn't till the next morning when I found out it was broken after all the x rays they had taken that night.  I had a fracture in my fibula and then missed about 5 weeks after the incident.

FSB: What kind of impression did Gerad Adams make on you? Do you have a clear idea of what your role will be on our side?
CE: He seems like a great guy as well as coach. I have only talked to him once, but he welcomed me to the team and told me I will probably play more than what I'm used to coming from the AHL, which will be nice.  As far as what my role on the team is, I will just play my game and hopefully things fall together. I look forward to helping the team out and bringing another championship back to Sheffield.

FSB: Is there anyone in the Elite League you've played with or against that you'll be encountering this season?
CE: Yes, I have a couple good friends that I have played with throughout my hockey career and I look forward to seeing hem through out the year. Two guys that I played with last year, Zach Fitzgerald and Doug Clarkson - who are guys that i would want to find my self in a tussle but are very good guys that will help out their teams throughout the season. Another guy who I played college with signed in Braehead and I know him really well, so it will be good to compete against these guys throughout the year.

FSB: Finally, us Steelers fans are a loyal bunch - give your all, and we'll love you for it. Do you have a message for the fans?
CE: I take pride in coming to play every night, that wont be a problem with me. Looking at the team that Gerad Adams has put together it looks like we should be able to provide you guys with something to cheer for. I'm excited to be part of such a wonderful organization, I have been receiving kind words from many Steelers fans the past couple days and I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this experience. You guys seem like a great fan base which every winning organization needs. I look forward to seeing you guys coming opening night #bleedlorangeandblack

Big thanks to Cullen for his time. He talks a good game, and I look forward to seeing him on opening night.

No comments: