Wednesday 13 August 2014

Frozen Steel Meets: Rod Sarich



Don't need a big introduction for this. He's one of my favourites, and I reckon he's one of yours too.

Rod Sarich, everyone.


FSB: First off, welcome back to the Steelers! How does it feel to be back?
Rod Sarich: Feels great, although I haven't really seen much of the guys yet, besides one skate last week. But looking forward to getting back on the ice and having a laugh in the dressing room.

FSB: What did a year off for Rod Sarich consist of?
RS: Mostly work and university. It was strange to be away from hockey so suddenly. I didn't realise how much of my limited social life was linked to the arena. I did find some other things to do; tried my hand at some five a side football. Even managed to score once, but there weren't many highlights!

FSB: I know you've touched on this in a previous interview, but why were you not brought back last by Doug Christiansen last year? I know you won't have agreed with the decision, but did you understand the reasoning?
RS: Doug said he wanted to go in a "different direction". Think this was a nice way of indicating he didn't rate me particularly high. And, as said before, he probably thought it would be better not to have too many senior players around if he was going to bring his own system and culture to the club. Old dogs, new tricks and all that. I was disappointed for sure, as I still feel I can contribute in a significant way, but he was entitled to do things his way. He seemed to have his mind made up before we even spoke.

FSB: How easy a decision for you was it to come back? Did G have to do much persuading?
RS: I was thinking about coming back the minute Doug was let go. I started back in the gym again, knowing I'd have to be in good shape to play the way I want to after a year out. Regarding talks with Gerad, it seemed to be a mutual kind of situation. They knew I wanted to still play and I guess he felt he had a spot for me in his plans.

FSB: How do you find the coach? Are you aware of what role you'll have this season?
RS: Gerad seems like an easy guy to get on with. We've been playing against each other for quite a few years now so I don't think there's too many surprises in store hockey wise, although I'm interested to see what training will be like, and other situations like in the dressing room. I've heard good things but obviously haven't seen his coaching style first hand.

Regarding my own role, Gerad kept the description pretty basic. I think he just wants me to play a steady role in various situations when needed. I've played most positions and situations before so I'd imagine I'll be used to cover for injuries etc. Personally, I hope to play with Mark Thomas again at some point. I'm sure he's missed me!

FSB: How do you think you'll fit in with the other guys in the locker room? I know there's still a few guys there from before, but do you know any of the new faces?
RS: It's always interesting to meet new teammates and it looks like we've got a good mix on paper. Some good players too so I'm excited to play with some new talent. I'm hoping maybe some of that talent is musical. You never know when a band might spring up!

FSB: Did you get many offers to go elsewhere, both here and elsewhere? If so, why didn't you take them up?
RS: I had some offers to play elsewhere in the league, and received calls later on in the season when injuries were happening. But between work and university I didn't really fancy driving up and down the motorway every day to train. It would have been a bit too stressful with my work load. I like to do things as best as I can and if I don't feel like I can commit enough energy to something, to get the results I want, then I'd rather not do something half hearted. Also, I consider my self a Sheffieldian?... Sheffieldonian?...Sheffieldite? ... Sheff... from Sheffield, so the Steelers are my team now, and who wouldn't want to play for their team.

FSB: How is the off-season prep going? Do you think you'll be ready for puck drop?
RS: This is the longest off season... ever. But I've been in the gym for a while now. If my feet can survive the first few weeks back in my skates then I'm sure I'll be off to the races.... hopefully at the same speed as I left the races 18 months ago. Maybe faster!!!??

FSB: Honestly, do you think you'll still be able to compete at the level required in the EIHL? I know it's not like taking a year out of the NHL and going back, but are there any doubts?
RS: No doubts really. The only issue will be getting through the aches and pains of adjusting to life on the ice again. As I'm sure you've heard before, time in the gym does not necessarily equate to time on the ice. There's always a stiff first few weeks in store. But after a few sessions at speed, I'm not worried, the timing and thinking of the game will come back quick enough.

FSB: Another year, another disappointment with Cory not making the move over to join you... Do you see the Sarich brothers ever joining up, or has that ship sailed?
RS: I can't see that ship on the horizon. He's recently been involved in a serious cycling accident, luck to be alive really, so I don't think a move to the UK is high on the list right now. It was always going to be a tough sell to prolong the career for the EIHL with three kids in school. But, you never know, he may make it one the ice at some point, if I end up playing a few more seasons myself. But I'm trying to concentrate on this particular season at the moment!

FSB: Finally Rod, do you have anything to say to the Steelers fans ahead of the start of the season?
RS: Not sure. Definitely thanks to those who've already welcomed me back so kindly. It'll be great to get back on the ice for that first game. I've certainly missed it.

So yeah, an email conversation with one of my idols. Starstruck mode initiated. Huge thanks to Roddy for his time.

No comments: