Thursday 21 August 2014

View From On High - 5 Things I Want To See This Season


It seems like forever since I wrote something opinion-based, and as the hockey season starts tomorrow, sort of, I thought it was high time I did.

The following are not predictions for what I think will happen. They are what I want to happen.

1. The Panthers to do well in the CHL.
I don't see why anybody outside of 10 excruciatingly bitter people in Sheffield would want anything else. I don't mean for them to win it, or even to get out of the group. It'll be an achievement to win a game, and that's what I hope for. Besides, if they somehow make it further in the competition, it might put them off their stride in the league a bit.

2. The rivalry to mean something again.
For all the media hype, and how we're told its the biggest rivalry in UK hockey (think Fife and Dundee hold that accolade by the way), they really don't mean a great deal. They mean a lot less than they did even five years ago. I want something to happen that stops all this sterility and means that the advertising that is going to happen for every Steelers/Panthers game actually means something.

And yes, the advertising bombardment is going to happen. We could get into a bitter title race with another team including brutal 65 minute battles at every game, major hits and scraps, injuries to both sides and we'd still get told it's not as big as the Panthers rivalry. Proof of this? Simms saying the Panthers games are strategically placed to help cashflow.

3. A classic Challenge Cup final.
It's going to be one game at the Sheffield Arena on March 8th. I've booked my hotel. I want a barnstormer of a game to make the decision to make it a one-off in a big arena a good one. I don't care who it's between, I just want a classic.

4. Scottish teams at POFW.
I had many reports of how much better the atmosphere was for having a strong Scottish contingent in the NIC, and I'd like to keep this up. A cross-country split of teams can only be good for the league and for awareness of the sport in the country - ideally we'd have a Sheffield, Cardiff, Belfast and *insert Scottish team* weekend so we get the full spread.

5. Gerad Adams to prove himself.
There is no doubt that G is a good coach. He's consistently made it to playoff weekend with the Devils. He took Doug's team from last year and turned them into winners. There are a few questions hanging over him though. Has he recruited well? Can he handle the pressure of coaching a big-budget team? Can he handle life in the goldfish bowl that is the Sheffield Steelers, where players are constantly overhyped and we're forever told we're the best in the world. I really hope, for G's sake more than anyone else, that he delivers. If not, the adulation he's received from Whitehouse to concourse may soon turn sour.

No comments: