Monday 2 November 2015

Exclusive Interview: FSB talks to ...Toby!

Toby in action, photo courtesy of Al Goold.


One of the things I wanted to add from time to time was an interview with somebody in the hockey world. Then as Alan and I drove back from Nottingham on Sunday morning, I had the perfect idea. Why not interview one of the EIHL stripeys? Having seen Tom Darnell do an interview for another hockey site a few months past, my thoughts turned to think whom I could approach.

I did think about Hicksy, but getting hold of him might be hard as he does not do social media anymore. Dean Smith, his fellow Caerdydd (Cardiff) based official was another possibility. However, I decided to drop Alan "Toby" Craig a chance tweet to see if he'd do it. Remarkably Toby accepted, so here we have it. FSB now talks to Toby, enjoy.


FSB: So you're a stripey by night. What does Toby do by day then?

Toby: I actually build kitchens for a firm based in Ayr.

FSB: Have you always been a hockey fan before becoming a stripey? If so, what are your first memories of the great game?

Toby: First memories eh? When I was about 8 years old watching my cousin play, and also the Ayr Bruins.

FSB: How did you become a stripey?

Toby: I had played junior hockey, second team and also had a couple of games for the first team at Ayr but then just got fed up with it and stopped. Ayr was a hotbed for officials, and Alex McWilliam, Drew Fraser, George Nicolson and I grew up in the same street as Gordon Pirry although he (Gordon) is older than me. These guys talked me into starting.

So that summer I was invited to the training camp in Nottingham; which was Nico Toeman's first year in GB. I managed to get in that season as a linesman, and a couple of seasons later I got my A License from the IIHF.

FSB: What are the best and worst rinks that you have officiated in and why?

Toby: Worst rink first. I never actually enjoyed going into Billingham to be honest. The actual rink was a dump and the referee's room was just a cupboard with no showers. Some of the other guys hated Durham, Whitley and Fife but not me. I just loved the atmosphere in those places when they were sold out.

Best rink? Wembley. I just loved being on the ice there especially when it was Finals weekend.

FSB: Where is the furthest you have travelled to officiate a game?

Toby: I have done IIHF tournaments in France, Holland, Spain and Slovenia.

FSB: We remember Michael Hicks had that tumble in Belfast when he forgot to take his skate guards off, have you had any embarrassing moments as an official?

Toby: Most Embarrassing. Years ago they revised the Scotland V. England games. I did both of them in Sheffield and Murrayfield. At the Murrayfield one we were coming out for the second period as it was going live on TV.

I like to be last on and last off so was at the back as we got to the ice. The other 2 stepped on the ice. I jumped onto the ice. Head down and away I went. The sell out crowd went daft. I'm at centre ice by this time and look up to see the figure skater going by. I about turned and skated back off. When she was finished I went back on to apologise to her. I took her hand and we did a lap of honour together. Haha

FSB: Who is the best player you've ever seen play as a fan or official?

Toby: Best Brits first. Tony (Hand), Lobby (David Longstaff), John Haig and Gordon Latto.

Best Imports: Chris Kelland, Al Simms, Kevin Lavelee, Len Hachborn and Danny Shea.

FSB: Do you follow the NHL? If so, who is your team?

Toby: Detroit are my NHL team but I also like the Rangers.

FSB: If you could make one change to the rule book what would it be and why?

Toby: Take out the 2 minute minor for removing your helmet in a fight. I like to see guys taking them off if they're going to fight. But I also like the 3 on 3 in Overtime.

FSB: And finally, how does Toby relax outside the world of hockey?

Toby: Spending time with my kids, playing golf and watching Glasgow Rangers.


Many thanks to Toby for this exclusive interview, what a fantastic bloke he is and a credit to the game and the EIHL itself. Mind you I just knew he'd mention Rangers FC at some point but I ain't gonna hold that against him at all. Hockey needs good guys, and this man is one of them. Hope you all appreciate this special feature.


Thanks for reading guys. If you want to get involved please contact us on twitter or find us on Facebook and like us and leave a comment:-
@FrozenSteelBlog
@TomWalkeden
@FrozenSteelMNL
@hockeybhoy

Check out the Frozen Steel Podcast

Check out the Frozen Steel Match Night Talk Show

Or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

No comments: