Saturday 14 April 2018

From The Editor's Chair - Edition 55


"And now the end is near, and so I face the final curtain..."

This is probably the hardest article I have ever had cause to write for Frozen Steel, and that's because it's my last one. Yes you read that right.

I've always enjoyed writing things, whether it be a fictional story or a creative article about something that I am interested in. My English GCSE assignments were always long winded efforts, if it wasn't at least eight pages long then there was something desperately amiss that's for sure. Some people like doing art to keep themselves focused and relaxed, I was always writing.

Well I first came to Frozen Steel in the close season of 2013-14, writing more and more regularly the following season. I had done pieces on hockey before, writing a column for British Ice Hockey when encouraged by now Braehead Clan General Manager Gareth Chalmers to do and had a regular piece in the then Sheffield Scimitars matchday programme as well. However, it wasn't good enough for a certain someone when the Steelers matchday magazine was looking for new contributors. I was told by this person that: "I knew nothing about hockey and that was it." - a bit galling when I've watched the sport since I was 8 and the Steelers from the very first season. Yes I remember Paul Thompson the player!

But I was undeterred and if the Club programme didn't want me, then FSB definitely did. So I started to write articles quite often. Then in August 2015 I was asked to take over the running as Editor of the Blog after Tom decided  he needed time out to focus on other things and Alan thought as I would be a natural fit for the role. I didn't need much talking around that's for sure so on August 11 2015, I became the third editor of the Blog.

During my time I have seen the evolution of popular articles such as the "Hockey Soapbox" . I've also taken part as a regular pundit on the "Match Night Talk Show" which eventually morphed to into another success story that being "Breaking The Ice": our podcast. I've written endless articles (some say too many haha) and tried to keep the blog ticking over especially in the summer when things are naturally a bit quieter.

However, I've had juggle this with a full time job and also doing freelance media for the Star newspaper writing about local amateur football. It's certainly kept me busy. Yet all good things must come to an end, and this is it. I started off this article with a line from Frank Sinatra song, and will finish it with one from the same one:

"The record shows I took the blows, and I did it my way. Yes I did my way."

Thanks everyone, that's definitely all folks.


Mark (Mad Dog)

No comments: