Tuesday 9 September 2014

Cullen Eddy - 9/9/14


Part of what we hope will be a regular feature, everyone please welcome Mr Cullen Eddy to Frozen Steel.

Sept.-9-2014
At the end of last year I had to make a decision if I wanted to continue to try and pursue my childhood dream of playing in the NHL in North America, or moving to Europe to indulge in a different opportunity that would not only allow me to play hockey, but explore different parts of the world.


I decided to take the offer to play in Sheffield because it allowed me to play hockey for 2 more years, as well as continue my education for future use - after my playing career comes to an end.

Once I completed and received my visa for the UK I hopped on a plane from Detroit, Michigan to Amsterdam, then to Manchester, United Kingdom. The moment I arrived in Manchester things were different right away, there was a whole different aspect of things. These changes were for the good though, I was excited about picking up on different cultures as well as different lifestyles.

On my way to Sheffield I started to notice the changes from North America like the driving on the left side of the road rather than the right and also the abundance of roundabouts. I was wondering the whole time while driving how would I do in these conditions with a manual car and driving on the opposite side of the road.

Well its been two weeks since I have been here and I have learned new things each and everyday that have adapted my way of life. Since starting hockey I have been very impressed with many aspects of it. The first initial opening with the season ticket holders was extremely nice, because it showed the support and dedication that the fans will be bringing each and every night.

As I started to meet some of my team mates I began to get more and more comfortable everyday. Each and every guy on the team is extremely nice and outgoing to make you feel like you are welcomed. Going into our first preseason game I knew we were going to have a good team just based off the way practices were going as well as the way the guys on the team were getting along with each other.

Heading into our first official game in Cardiff last Sunday we had a full week of practice under our belts and started to pick up on the systems that Gerad was putting down. As we approached the game every guy had a positive attitude and a winning mentality. There wasn't a doubt in the room that we were going to lose. With this mentality we ended up picking up the win for the first game of the season, starting us off the way we look to carry on throughout the season.

With the group of guys we have here and the type of players we represent we will have a very productive year here in Sheffield.

Immense thanks to Cullen. You can follow him on Twitter @zomastersinker, and hopefully this is the first of many diary entries he writes for us during his time in the Steel City.

No comments: