Friday 19 June 2015

Getting to know...Alan Claringbold!




To keep the site ticking over this summer, we have decided to run a little feature where you will discover a little bit more behind each of the three of us: Alan (apologies for the old picture, but considering it's with the League Trophy I'm sure you'll excuse us), Tom and myself - Mark. What you are about to experience is a bit more background to us all which is not covered in the staff profiles.
First in the hot seat is Alan himself. So sit back and enjoy.

FSB: So what is your role here?
AC: I'm one of the match night updaters, and I am principally behind the @FrozenSteelMNL account which provides a service on Twitter for those not at games. I also help run the site with Tom, and write the occasional opinion based article on events.

FSB: Are you a season ticket holder, and where do you sit?
AC: Yes, I've been a season ticket holder for a number of years now and sit in Block 119 with my Dad.

FSB: How long have you been a hockey fan, and what started off the interest?
AC: Since around 1998-99 when the London Knights first started out to be honest. It all began when my Dad had a trip to Slough to see a client in his line of work, and we went to watch the Jets take on Basingstoke or something. It ended 2-2, there was something like four fights, five player ejections and a bit of blood as well: safe to say I was hooked. I went to see the Knights a few weeks later and it just continued from there on.

FSB: Who is your NHL team if you support one?
AC: Boston Bruins, and I've been over there to watch them a couple of times. Would love to go back, just love the City and the fans.

FSB: Who is your favourite all-time hockey player?
AC: Theo Fleury, the little guy who made it big. I admire him for how he battled all his demons and carved out a great career, opening your eyes to what these guys go through. A proper little rink rat if there ever was one, and a very highly skilled player in his own right.

FSB: If you weren't a Steelers fan, who would you support and why?
AC: Depends where I would be living to honest. I started off as a Knights fan, they folded, we moved up here and if Steelers didn't exist then it'd be nearest to where I'd be living at the time.

FSB: What is your favourite food?
AC: Definitely a kebab.

FSB: What is your favourite drink?
AC: A lot of people that know me will be expecting me to say Mailbu and Coke, but it's actually Früli - a strawberry flavoured beer from Belgium.

FSB: How many hockey shirts do you own?
AC: About 20, excluding a couple which I have given away in the past.

FSB: Which are your favourite and least favourite hockey rinks.
AC: Favourite, definitely the TD Garden in Boston: the place is just incredible. Least Favourite? Not exactly got a least favourite but I've been to some rubbish ones, like going to Peterborough before they put in plexi and just had netting around the rink from the boards right up to the roof of the building.

FSB: What shirt number would you wear if you were a player - providing it was not retired?
AC: 29, because it's my birthday and it's a number that both Steelers and the Bruins rarely use.

FSB: What is your favourite film?
AC: Would have to be Schindler's List. A beautifully made movie and very, very thought provoking.

FSB: Which type of music do you like, a favourite band and singer?
AC: I like my rock music to be honest, favourite bands probably would be Nickelback, Shinedown and Alter Bridge with Myles Kennedy as my favourite singer.

FSB: Do you have any pre-game superstitions?
AC: At the end of the national anthem I put my cap back on, give it a couple of tweaks then sit down.

FSB: Who is your favourite non-hockey related person?
AC: My Grandad, gave so much advice to me when I was having odd troubles growing up and helped make me the person who I am.

FSB: Who would be your celebrity dream date and why?
AC: Scarlett Johansson - she kicks ass in the Marvel movies.

FSB: What's your favourite TV programme?
AC: Don't watch a lot of TV but I do like Storage Hunters.

FSB: Do you have any other favourite sports outside hockey?
AC: I like a bit of everything really, but I am not the biggest football fan around. Guess it would be most North American sports like baseball, basketball etc.

FSB: What three things could you not do without on a desert island?
AC: The woman of my dreams who shall remain nameless, a tent to live in and an endless supply of Factor 50 sunblock! #GingerProblems

FSB: What is the most embarrassing thing you've done?
AC: Slicing my arm wide open whilst in McDonalds.

FSB: If money was no object, which current NHL player would you sign for the Steelers and why?
AC:  Jonathan Toews, because I think he is just the most complete hockey player in the world.
 
FSB: What is your all time hockey team, name a minimum of two Brits in it?
AC: Martin Brodeur - Rod Sarich, Ray Bourque - Theo Fleury, Steve Yzerman, David Clarke.

My thanks to Alan for this valuable insight, he will be asking me the same questions in a few weeks time so keep your eyes peeled for this.




Thanks for reading guys. If you want to get involved please contact us on twitter or find us on Facebook and like us and leave a comment:-
@FrozenSteelBlog
@TomWalkeden
@FrozenSteelMNL
@hockeybhoy

Check out the Frozen Steel Podcast

Check out the Frozen Steel Match Night Talk Show

Or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

No comments: