Thursday 26 November 2015

Hockey Soapbox - Edition 2



Here’s our second week’s Frozen Steel blog take on the ‘EIHL Question Time’ format, where we take the views of a number of fans on four or five hot topic items. Hopefully this will become a regular thing and we’ll rotate the fans so it doesn’t get stale. 
If you’d like to get involved, it’s pretty simple you only have to be able to string two sentences together, then please contact Mark @frozensteelblog or Tony @DISGU15ED, or find us at the game. Also get in touch if you have ideas for questions, or feedback on what you're about to read.
Contributors this week are: Mark Duell, Robert Newbolt, Eric Green and Bethan.
So, to this week’s first question – what was this week’s main talking point in the EIHL?
Mark - Thommo's reaction after the loss in the BBT. There was a man whose patience had snapped, he was angry and had every right to be. He had realised what we were seeing was what he was seeing. I am sure he read the riot act in that locker room after that interview post game with Simmsey.
Robert - Think this depends on where in the UK you live. Not sure there was a main one. Almost everyone had split weekend. Only Belfast did the double in challenge cup and in doing so go top. However, if you live in Sheffield you are scratching your head wondering what’s wrong but if you live in Coventry you are probably contemplating suicide.
Eric - The EIHL Video Technology Statement. “Tested on Saturday night during the Cardiff Devils v Sheffield Steelers game at the BBT”. The biggest surprise to me was that we have already tested it at the Sheffield Arena, the incident was replayed on the Tron centre ice, and guess what? Yep you guessed it, the Referee “Still took no notice”  Next…….
Bethan - Oh probably still that the Steelers are 'in charge' of DOPS or something like that which is starting to get pretty old imho. I get that the lack of transparency is annoying, but the constant grumbles that clearly the Steelers are cheating are starting to annoy me!
A mixed bag a replies there, so looking from a wider perspective what has been the biggest surprise this season? 
Bethan - I know I mentioned them last week but for me it's gotta be Edinburgh - they've really impressed me this season with how they've been getting on, and I really like how they're constantly trying to improve rather than settling for last place and blaming their budget etc. 
Robert - The Edinburgh Capitals. We are now well into November and their relentless pace, not just in their conference, has continued. They have beaten everyone in their conference, stand 3rd overall, and only Belfast of the opposite conference seem to have their measure. Murrayfield is almost as feared as the Big Blue Tent for most opposing sides.
Mark - Dundee's win over Cardiff for me. I fully expected the red juggernaut to win in Tayside but the Stars proved me wrong. Certainly the Gardiner Conference sides are being very difficult to beat this season. Just look at the Edinburgh Capitals if you need any further clarification.
Eric - That Premier Sports and the EIHL are coming together. Sources tell me, Aaron Murphy, Premier sports front man will host a new TV programme and that two of the original programme’s presenters will be axed. Namely Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean. And the name of this new programme “DANCING ON ICE……….. Erm I think that’s right?!?!   (editor : think you mean "EIHL ON ICE” Eric!)
Turning to look at recent news from the Steelers camp, first question of two : Was Mike Duco the problem? 
Bethan - I don't think we can pin our problems on a specific player. I wasn't ever that impressed with him, and after it was pointed out to me that he was one of our top 5 earners I'm really not surprised he's been released, but I don't think he was ever the cause of any problems.
Robert - No he wasn’t the problem he was a scapegoat. PT was, in my opinion forced to act. He had to show he was doing something and Duco was an easy third line option.
Mark - No, the problem was and still is the defence or the lack at times. I liked Duco's work ethic but it seems that Steelers and Duco weren't the fit that each other wanted. Someone was unfortunately going to get axed, Mike was that one. But unless things improve, he might not be the only one.
Eric - No!!!! the blame falls fairly and squarely at the door of a player called “Mind Set”. Now for the life of me, I’ve looked several times on the official Steelers site and I cannot find this “SET” guy, “What’s his stat’s like? Is he an offensive or defensive player? 
..and the follow up, is Guillaume Desbiens the answer? 
Eric - I don’t know!!!!! If I were coach I would gas the SET guy. As for Desbiens, beats me - Ask him if he’s seen this SET guy first!
Mark - We will soon know. He comes with a record of almost 1000 PIMs in 451 AHL games which says he is not afraid of dropping the mitts but then again we thought Danny Bois was the power forward we had been craving since Colt King was here. I just hope he does not turn into a goon and proves to be a team player who entertains me.
Robert - I think he became available after PT stated Duco is a ‘team player’. It cannot hurt to bring someone new in. Same sort of player, probably tougher, main concern is that he’s only played 25% of the allotted games in the EBEL (6 in all) due to a head injury. Don’t think we should expect a lot of offense from him. It may fire the team up but I doubt it, I wonder if PT has lost the faith of the dressing room. Hope not!
Bethan - Just as I don't think we can pin all our problems on one player, we also can't pin all our hopes on one. I just hope he can do something to lift the mood and the confidence of the team, and maybe a new face is what the team needs to build up to bigger changes. 
To finish, let’s look at brighter things and finish with a history Question. Nice and easy, who’s your all-time favourite Steeler - you're only allowed one!
Robert - Ken Priestlay. As a long-time supporter no-one has come close to him for his unerring accuracy in front of goal. Nowadays a one on one favours the netminder, but not with the messiah. I could go on and on but I’m mindful of only two sentences.
Mark - I can have only one? I'll go for the less predictable answer then i.e. not Ken Priestlay! I'm going for Joey Talbot, sniper supreme of the modern era. Wish we still had him.
Bethan - Erm well I can only really speak for fairly modern teams, and Ash Tait was my favourite for a long time, but currently I'm thinking he might have been replaced by our Mosi - he's just great to watch with the amount of effort he always seems to put in. He can also turn back and forth so quickly, which is always funny when the opposing player shoots off in the wrong direction!
Eric - In their history the Steelers have had a number of greats inducted into the British Ice Hockey’s hall of fame. (EIGHT, I believe) But for me the number one must be Rocket Ron. He is a hero, supporter, coach and long time campaigner for the Steelers organisation and infrastructure. And guess what? His lad “Cole” is now coming along. If Cole keeps improving, then we, the humble supporters may one day see the second generation of the Shudra family dress for the Steelers.

That’s all folks. Hope you enjoyed reading our thoughts, and we’d love you to get involved too. Help set the agenda for next week with your questions, or even better get involved and give your views as one of the panel. We would love different views, and different participants each week. 
Brief Bios of those panellists you’ve just been listening to :
Mark is one of the main men behind the Frozen Steel blog, being the Editor and Podcast pundit, and has watched the club since its inception. Find him at @hockeybhoy
Robert is chief architect of steelers-stats.co.uk, the go-to guy for Steelers history from days gone by, and the man behind one of the big White House spotlights! Robert is @steelersstats.
Eric is a season ticket holder and can be found shouting encouragement to our players and scorn at the zebras alongside three generations of his family in block 115. Views can be found @greenbunch257
Tony has been watching the Steelers on and off since Tony Hand arrived, and has been a regular for the last eight years or so. Enjoys contributing to the blog with his weekly five things and can be found @DISGU15ED
Bethan represents the younger end of the fan base, after being dragged along to her first Steelers game in 2007 and has loved the team ever since. Follow her on Twitter at @bethan_4


Many thanks to Richard Renshaw for the graphic again.


Thanks for reading guys. If you want to get involved please contact us on twitter or find us on Facebook and like us and leave a comment:-
@FrozenSteelBlog
@TomWalkeden
@FrozenSteelMNL
@hockeybhoy

Check out the Frozen Steel Podcast


Or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

No comments: