Thursday 31 December 2015

Hockey Soapbox - Fan highlights from the season so far. Extended version.


Something a bit different this week - thought we'd throw open the FSB doors and get as many quick thoughts from as many fans as we could.

Here's a slightly longer batch of our own personal hockey highlights from the first half of the season:

Robert Newbolt @newboltrobert
Being presented with Jeff Legue’s game worn sponsor's away shirt (more money than sense me!) at the Steelers Sports Bar. I had my photo taken with him and met Jason Hewitt too - both he and Jeff are the greatest of people off ice.

Bethan @Bethan_4
One highlight for me was the pre season game against the Manchester Storm - new team, new rink, and unfortunately we only remembered how effing cold that place is when we pulled up outside - many cups of hot chocolate were bought! But it's a great set up, from the banners won by the old Storm hanging in the rafters to give it a sense of history, to the fairly young team on the ice, it was a very exciting night.

Tony @Disgu15ed
Mine is probably the CHL draw and the excitement of seeing who we would get, and then the scramble for a map of Europe to find out exactly where Jyväskylä is and could we get there easily - unfortunately the answer was no!

Janet Shaw ‏@Bandanajan
One of my fave moments was the smile on Marek Pinc's face when he got his first man of the match. Awesome!

Nathan Turner ‏@NJT75Owl
Lawrence for me. I was gutted when we signed him and gutted when he left. Thought he was garbage at Blaze, then we signed him and I thought PT had lost the plot. He proved me wrong and was exactly what we needed. Then he left and rejoined that lot! I live in hope that I see him play in orange once more

Matt Dawson ‏@mattymidland
Highlight : the very moment I heard the news that we had got rid of Chris Lawrence. Just a very lazy player in my opinion, yes scores goals but adds no dimension to the team, he left Cov, they got better, he left us, we got better, and now at Notts who were flying and top before he went back.

Mark Duell @hockeybhoy
For me I'm going for the 9-8 win in Braehead. Quite simply because it's the most breathtaking game of hockey I've seen. Both teams going for it from the get go. Not good for heart rate but great entertainment.

Phil Beddoe ‏@PBeeodd
Best thing for me was CHL at the Arena. Jyp game in particular we were good and also seeing the expression on some of our yellow meanies faces when @Sektion84 started waving their shirts about at the Frolunda game was priceless.

Kate at the game
Hearing Eliot Kennedy @NYCSteelerfan singing the National Anthem on boxing day in front of a full house. The crowd were ready to get going anyway, but that pushed us on even more.

Samantha Dale ‏@sam_26
Fitzy at the shirt auction after the games v Clan in August. All shirts except soyb were auctioned, then Simms said "I think that concludes the auction" before Fitzy's shirt was done. Fitzy then stood on the table with Simms and started to walk up and down the table, turning the shirt front and back like on a cat walk encouraging people to bid more. He got the most for his shirt from what I can remember. Then everyone started chanting "Fitzy is a Steeler" and "let's all do the Fitzy" he loved it.

Andy Roberts @ic3creamman
Travelling x1000 miles to Fernie Canada and going to a Junior game (KIJHL) and meeting Pascal Morency. Spent most of the game talking to him. What a top bloke.

Alan Claringbold @FrozenSteelMNL/@AwkwardGinge
Honestly, my highlight for the year was very recent. Having 9000 people inside that Arena on Boxing Day was simply incredible to see. It brought back memories of when I was a London Knights fan because the last time I saw the Arena that busy was Tim Cranston's shirt retirement. Every since Tony Smith and his family took over the Club, they have continuously worked tirelessly behind the scenes making off-ice improvements. That sold-out crowd on Boxing Day is exactly what they as a family have deserved for all their hard work. Long may it continue.
 

No comments: