Wednesday 24 May 2017

20 Things that you may or may not know: Featuring FSB Editor Mark


Welcome to a quirky little article that I've decided to throw in during the off-season. I present to you dear FSB readers, 20 things that you might or might not know about me. Yes that's my ugly mush pictured above at the top of this piece...

The article will probably get not as many views as a normal article, but it is - as I state at the start: quirky. 


20 Things about FSB Editor Mark

1.  I should have been called Marc but Dad spelt it incorrectly on my birth certificate. I was to be named after Marc Bolan, the lead singer of T-Rex, whom I was told Mam quite liked...

2. I was born four days late on Hallowe'en 1971. Guess this explains why I can be a bit stubborn then.

3.  Within hours of being born, I marked my arrival into the world by p*ssing over the nurse.  Nothing like making an instant impact, eh?

4.  I went to my first hockey game at the tender age of 8 when I literally begged my family to let me go on the school trip to it. Never looked back since..

5.  I started to take an interest in the NHL a few months later watching the Oilers and being mesmerised by "The Great One" (Mr G). Both him and Pittsburgh's Mario Lemieux seemed like gods.

6.  My NHL team is New Jersey Devils, and I've supported them since 1991. Martin Brodeur became my hero and I admit I would wear 30 on my back if I was a goalie.

7.  Now if I was an outskater, I'd go for 4 if playing D after the wrecking ball that was Scott Stevens and 68 or 71 if a forward. 68 because of Jaromir Jagr and 71 after the year I was born.

8.  At school I was a more decent rugby player actually. Used to playing hard contact games eh? I captained my school for a couple of years until...

9.  I've got no cartilages in my knees after a freak rugby training session accident at 15. I had to have major surgery on them and repair my Achilles which was shredded in the same incident.

10. I've had numerous nicknames in the past from Prof (after my geeky looks) to Aardvark. I'm now known as either Basil (after Basil Brush) or Mad Dog. Just look my initials and you'll see why the latter sticks.

11.  I am a bit of a sports fanatic and will watch most sports. However, one sport I never watch is tennis (not even for some of the pretty ladies). Each to their own I suppose..

12.   Up to the age of 26 I had long hair, which kinda tells you what sort of music I like. Then I noticed I was going thin on top, next thing out came the clippers and I shaved it off. I miss the long hair look.

13.  My musical taste is usually rock and metal. Favourite current band is Alter Bridge, closely followed by Shinedown. You should see my music collection, it's pretty large...

14.   If I had to be stranded on a desert island with someone I don't know, it would have to be with Rachel Hunter (Liam Stewart's Mam). Just think of her in the "Stacy's Mom" video...

15.  Picking four dinner guests (alive or not) would probably read the afore mentioned Ms Hunter, Martin Brodeur and Henrik Larsson. Nice mix of people; wouldn't you say?

16.   One food I could eat all the time would be pasta or anything pasta orientated. I am addtionally quite partial to a decent steak and also will happily consume a Chinese, Indian or Italian dish if need be.

17.   Favourite drink has to be either a decent hand pulled real ale or any continental beer such as Budvar. If I am sticking to soft drinks, I quite like a nice cold glass of ginger beer..blame Nan for that!

18.  So what's my favourite movie? I like action movies, thrillers, horror, sci-fi or a good comedy to be honest. But if I had to pick one it's the best fictional disaster movie going: "The Towering Inferno" which starred Paul Newman and Steve McQueen.

19.  Favourite hockey rink outside Sheffield? Now that's a tough call. I'll probably go with the "O" in Belfast because it has Rockies so close by. Coming close are Braehead and the Kinnarps in Jonkoping, Sweden. Least favourite? Never liked the BBT at all.

20.   My favourite holiday destination has to be New Zealand, I could honestly live there. Mind you, I wouldn't mind waking up on Xmas Day and spending it on Bondi Beach in Oz. Closer to home it's the County Down countryside or my native North East.


Thanks for reading guys. If you want to get involved please contact us on Twitter or find us on Facebook and like us and leave a comment:-
@FrozenSteelBlog
@FrozenSteelMNL
@hockeybhoy
@Disgu15ed
Available on iTunes to listen and download, also on SoundCloud


Or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

No comments: