Thursday 26 December 2013

Thoughts on tonights game - Jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way...

...oh what fun it is to see the Panthers lose away HEY!

Feels good doesn't it? I feel so good I might bust out into a James Brown "I feel good" dance!

Best performance of the season in my eyes. We showed up and played 60 minute hockey. That being said, we still looked a little off though with one or two moments here or there but generally we did the job and beat what was put in front of us.



Every player showed up tonight, led by example as always by the captain. Goertzen had a terrific game tonight and probably only lost out on the MoM because of Doyle's shutout, which was fully deserved in itself, making great stops when required and a great toe save in the 2nd period when the Panthers looked certain to score. Talking of Goertzen...watching him in the team circle before the start of the game, you could see him talking about tonight and also Saturday night saying it would be a war over these next two games. I think that can probably be expected on Saturday night now. Those two for me were the standout players tonight, followed closely by Robert Dowd and some guy by the name of Gord Baldwin...wait, did I really just put that?

Yes I did! Baldwin had by far his best game of the season tonight. His positioning was much better but more importantly so was his decision making. He also finally laid a beauty of a hit in the third period of tonights game and then also had Kalus bounce off him along the boards...I guess he wanted to do his best effort at being Bambi instead. Seriously though, well done Gord, it's about time. Now just do it week in and week out!

That being said, the team as a whole were also better defensively as well. I honestly cannot think of anyone on our team that had a poor performance tonight (where was Mark Thomas?). Like I said, there were one or two moments and odd bad decisions here or there, but they happen. Generally though, that was much much better.

The only thing that worries me though, is how we'll play on Saturday. The last time the Panthers played poorly at ours and got beat, we played them the next night and we ended up on the wrong end of a 6-1 hammering.

After tonight, and another poor Panthers performance (with the exceptions of Lacho and Boxhill, Conway did ok too), I fully expect them to be a much different side on Saturday. That game will more than likely really be the war Goertzen referred to in his pre-game talk.

I'd love another 6-1 game in all honesty, just the other way round of course. Especially as it's in their building, and on TV too...now that would be a lovely Christmas period! Nothing better than letting the Panthers roll over and have us tickle their bellies!

You know the drill folks.

@IAmMcCausland
@TomWalkeden
@AwkwardGinge
@FrozenSteelBlog

WOOOWWW! I FEEL GOOD! Na na na na na na na na!

Alan
@AwkwardGinge

No comments: