Thursday 26 December 2013

Passion or No Passion by the Sheffield Steelers Players

Hey everybody, this is a little different compared to the Match Reports I've been doing. But anyway I'm writing this because for the past few weeks I've been getting more and more annoyed with Sheffield fans slating the players. A lot of fans have been saying that there is no commitment or passion from the lads this year! Well if you want my opinion you are so "WRONG". A big reason why the players are proving commitments and passion is what David Simms wrote in Saturday match program against the Cardiff Devils on the 21st December and if you bought the programme and read his programme notes you will know exactly what I'm on about.


So for anybody who didn't read the programme from the Cardiff game I'll quote what was said, now obviously we've had a fair few injuries this season and these are some great examples for what the team means to the players.

About Jeff Legue "I stood next to Jeff Legue fully dressed on Sunday (Coventry game) trying to get his skate on almost begging a Dr to inject him so he could take to the Ice."

About Jason Hewitt "I watched Jason Hewitt two weeks ago unable to hold a stick with two hands as he had broken fingers yet he didn't miss a shift (or a face off)."

About Stefan Meyer "Stefan Meyer was told 4-6 weeks off minimum. He missed two weekends."

About Frank Doyle "Our Goalie Frank Doyle went almost two weeks without practise so he could get through two games that weekend when he shouldn't have played."

This last one is about Robert Dowd and it's the best one "I sat next to Robert Dowd in Coventry on Sunday, I was almost black and blue as he made every hit, grimaced at every check. Half way through the game he looked at me and just said "That's enough, I can't watch anymore. I'm playing on Saturday however I am."

Now all of them were taken out of David Simms programme notes and it's just example which I thought I had to use I mean how can anyone argue that there isn't any passion in the team is beyond me especially about what Robert Dowd it's just shows that they all just want to play for the club and for the fans and do their best for everyone when things aren't going right. It has been a bad season for injuries and the players are willing to put their own health on the line just to get on the Ice and get the points for the fans.

Just because of our history and how much of big club we are fans seem to think that we have the given right to win every game! Yes it wouldn't be nice to win every game and having four point weekend instead of having a two point weekend all the time. Before the season started I thought we had a great chance to do well this year with the squad we have and I still think we have a great chance to do something maybe not in the league this year but the fans need to remember we're still in the Challenge Cup and then we have to make qualifying for the playoffs our priority followed by making Playoff finals weekend our priority for the first time in three years. When Doug was appointed as head coach it was on a 3 year contract and he said himself be patient he's building a championship winning team. Championship winning teams aren't built in a day I mean take Nottingham for example took them 50+ years!! Now makes our situation look a little bit better doesn't it.

Basically guys yes we haven't won anything in 3 years but every team has it's bad times were building a championship winning team, no matter what the result is please keep coming to the Arena and cheering the lads on because when there not playing to the best of their ability it's the fans they need behind them to keep them going. Because I'm sure that if the fans turn up then the lads will turn up, Starting with Nottingham at home on a Boxing Day.

Thanks for reading guys. Any questions or comments please get in contact with the Frozen Steel Team on this article or via Twitter:-
@IAmMcCausland
@TomWalkeden
@AwkwardGinge
@JoshnBritton94
@FrozenSteelBlog

or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

Much Appreciated

Have A Very Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year
Tom
@TomWalkeden

No comments: