Saturday 18 January 2014

Frozen Steel Meets...Aaron Murphy

As part of my cheeky asking of hockey personalities if I could grab interviews with them, I slyly asked the new voice of ice hockey in the UK, Premier Sports' Aaron Murphy if he'd do us yet another favour (after the silly amount of TV mentions) and answer us some questions. Because he's such a decent guy, he obliged.



Hi Aaron, first off I want to say a huge thank you for agreeing to do this interview with us, it means a lot to be getting noticed and talked to by the hockey fraternity so thanks in advance.
No problem at all Liam - thanks for involving me - I'm honoured.

When did you first start covering hockey?
That goes back a while! I guess since the late nineties - working with a company called 'The Score' in Toronto which was a 24 hour sports channel with highlights and features. I worked on hockey there...and continued to do so when I moved to Europe in 2005 for NASN in Dublin, which eventually became ESPN America. Wherever I've been I have enjoyed working on NHL, and all levels of hockey.

What brought you over to the UK initially?
I needed a change and a break from Toronto - I was travelling in Europe but also had a different motive! I knew that NASN (North American Sports Network) in Dublin was looking for a hockey guy - so I had made contact before leaving Canada. I had a few phone interviews, and when the time was right I visited Dublin and the rest they say is history! NASN became ESPN America, and I was eventually transferred from Dublin to London. I enjoyed both experiences - but am happy to be based back in Dublin now with Setanta and Premier Sports.

You made your Premier Sports debut commentating on Team GB's venture to Latvia, how did you end up with that gig?
That job in Riga, Latvia was actually with ESPN. My boss there was intrigued by the Team GB effort to try and qualify for the Sochi Olympics, and he thought that I would be a good fit for that assignment. I then worked closely with Ice Hockey UK to negotiate and work out the best deal for both sides, and I thoroughly enjoyed that first Team GB trip.The guys were great and available to the media - but also welcomed me into the team. I can't say enough about that group of players.

Without breaking any confidentiality agreements, how did the premier/EIHL deal come about?
The Premier Sports group loves hockey. They proved that by getting the NHL rights, and by also doing the World Championships top pool last year, and of course Team GB's trip to Budapest. I really enjoyed calling those GB games in Budapest, and getting to work with Premier on such a great tournament. I think that after seeing the reaction from fans and viewers towards those GB games, then it made sense to try and do the EIHL this season. The boss at Premier, and the EIHL, have done a fantastic job of getting this all off the ground - and a lot of work goes into the highlight package and game of the week.

How do you decide which games are chosen? Does each team have to be shown a certain amount of times or are the tastiest-looking games chosen?
We try and spread it around - but some games are marquis match-ups and are easy picks too. Every team will get a live game of course, but we also have to take into account the facilities, and the crowds, and how it all works for subscribers. The goal would be that if this continues to grow, and become more than one season - then next season we would look at breaking up appearances more. For now - as we missed the first few months of the season, we need the best games possible to make it work. We also communicate with the league on all picks before finalizing and they give their input.

What does a typical game day involve for Aaron Murphy?
Game days are busy! I usually am up Saturday morning around 6 or 7am to catch a flight out of Dublin. When I get to the host city, I go straight to the rink and do player interviews and features. I then look over the highlights show, and voice any packages that haven't included team webcast commentary. I also voice links and scoreboards. Throughout all of that I am doing prep work, talking to coaches and players for tidbits and stories - also getting line-up information for the game. I usually meet my co-commentator around 4 or 5pm and go over all the elements for the show, and try to make them comfortable. We do sound checks on our headsets, and go over show openings and intermission segments with the producer. By the time we go live I have had a few coffees to keep going! The day goes quickly and the three hour show flies by. After the game I meet up with coaches and players to thank them - and of course thank the host team, and their staff for all the help, and hospitality on the day. I usually get to the hotel by 11pm or midnight, and am up again Sunday morning for another early flight - it's a hectic 24 hours!

You have previously done webcast duties for Belfast, do you have any particular ties, or affection, for any of the other Elite League teams?
I have also worked on the Coventry Blaze webcast last season, and that experience and the Giants job earlier this season were excellent - and I enjoyed every game with both. I am impartial though - and research and prepare for every Premier game to do the best job possible for every match-up. I have no favourites - and enjoy seeing all the clubs in action. I have friends throughout the league on different teams, but once I am on the set and we go live I am calling the game how it is.

What advice would you give any up and coming, or would-be, hockey journalists who want to get a start in the sport of kings?
Nowadays with social media, and instant blogging and information, I think that an aspiring journalist has an array of platforms to get their work out there! My advice - be professional - be consistent - and keep writing, blogging, podcasting, and let your love of hockey come through in your work!

Finally Aaron, just a couple of reader questions.

Diane Sockett on Facebook:
"I would like to know where on earth does he get his one liners from. E.g " jumping like a frog on a blender"
Some of them come out of nowhere - some of them I can't remember I said until someone brings it up - and some of them have been passed around from Canada - to Budapest and beyond! I think it's important to have some fun and entertain while trying to bring the viewer in and enjoy the Saturday live game.

CapsBanterArmy on Twitter:
"what would he rather fight and why? 1 horse sized duck or 10 duck sized horses?"
I fought Benn Olson a few weeks ago on the ice for a TV feature - so after that I'm not intimidated by either scenario!!

And lastly, Helen_of_Horror doesn't have a question, but a statement from every single UK hockey fan:
"Not a question but top one on making hockey on tv enjoyable to watch again :)"
Thanks Helen - I appreciate the comment. The fans around the league have been great - and I love meeting and hearing from them.

Finally from us, I'd like to say thank you for mentioning us on the TV show, giving us a shoutout even though I imagine my shameless plugging is probably quite irritating, I don't know how many people have noticed the mentions but its certainly giving us a platform I never expected, and I can't thank you enough for that. Before we finish, is there anything you'd like to say to our readers, or would like to promote yourself?
No problem my pleasure bud! EIHL fans can follow and reach out to me on twitter @MurphOnIce - and can check out my website www.murphonice.com

Massive thank you to Aaron for answering our questions, and doing so in record time. Comes across as a top bloke and is really breathing new life into UK ice hockey on the TV. If you haven't subscribed to Premier Sports yet, you're mad. Get on it.

Who would you like to see in a Frozen Steel Meets interview? Let us know @FrozenSteelBlog

Liam

No comments: