Friday 10 January 2014

The Frozen Steel Interview - Chris Frank

So when we first started, I cheekily asked Braehead's former Steeler D Chris Frank if he'd do an email interview with us, never expecting him to agree to it. For reasons still unknown, he said yes. Unfortunately, we caught him right in the middle of the Muzzy for Money charity pull, and then christmas and such. So it has taken this long to get his responses. But today, the email came, and I am very pleased to bring to you our first proper interview.

Ladies and gentlemen, Chris Frank.




You joined the Steelers part-way through last season. Obviously you'd had your time in Cardiff but how much did you know about Steelers org before you signed?
I didn’t know a whole lot about the Steelers organization other than from what I learned when I played in Cardiff. I knew the hockey program was pretty decorated and has the highest expectations year after year. Aside from that I just knew they played out of a nice arena.
Your arrival seemed to spark somewhat of a turn around in form and fortune. Do you think that, given a full season, the team could have made a title charge?
Well my arrival wasn’t what caused a turnaround in the season. Last years team had a lot of veteran leadership that knew how to conduct themselves regardless of wins or losses. From what I understood, before Simon Ferguson and I arrived the team wasn’t in the position they wanted to be in, but were still in contention for a trophy. The team went through a tough patch early in the year and were just getting out of it when Simon and I happened to arrive. We were fortunate to arrive when the team started playing to their full potential.
Do you have any particularly happy memories from your time in Sheffield? Both on-ice and off?
Playing in the Boxing Day tradition was probably my favorite moment on ice. The atmosphere was one of the best I have ever played in and the fact we won convincingly made it even more special.
Off the ice I had a lot of good memories. My time with the Roundabout organization was definitely a highlight and discovering the Our Cow Molly Farm. But I would have to say my favorite moment was getting on the Wall of Fame at The Street Food restaurant. Crushing a 5lbs burrito.  

Were you particularly close or friendly with anyone on the team? Do you still keep in touch with many of them?
I would have to say the 4 amigos was a pretty special crew and being around Johnny DeCaro was always worth a laugh. It’s definitely nice to get a chance to say hi to the fellas when we play against them.
Were you given the chance to sign on for this season? Were you offered a new contract?
Doug and I never had contact with one another. When Finner was given the coaching position in Braehead he called me pretty fast and I was more than happy to follow him North.
Your new team, the Braehead Clan, have had a fantastic start to the season under Mr Finnerty. Is there any particular reason you can see for the impressive run?
We have a lot of talent on our team and guys who like to work hard. There aren’t any ‘Me” guys on the team so I think the mix of chemistry and talent had really helped with our start.
How much different is Glasgow to Sheffield? Have you had to invest in a couple of scarfs?
To be honest it hasn’t been too bad up here. To this point I found Sheffield to be way colder. Aside from that I sometimes feel like I did when I was in Cardiff because I have a hard time understanding what people are saying up here.
Readers' Questions

Tom Walkeden: How did the Australian League differ from others you have played in?
Well down there I looked like I had the skill of Jeff Legue, so I imagine you can paint your own picture. There are a lot of positives going on in the league to increase the level. There is a large group of young Australians that are eager to learn, improve, and move on to higher levels so the potential is there.
Diane Sockett: What is your biggest achievement and biggest regret?
There isn’t one moment that sticks out to me, the whole ride to this point has been pretty great. I’ve really enjoyed my entire career and the people I have met along the way.
I’m not a big believer in regrets because at the end of the day I did something because at that moment I wanted to.

Sarah Bailey: Why did you leave Sheffield Steelers? And is there something us fans need to know? And is it do with Jason Hewitt?
Did I leave the Steelers because of Hewitt? Yes, absolutely………I can’t stand being in the same room as a bald guy that is better looking than me.
I really enjoyed playing for Finner last season. I heard in a recent interview with Colt King that he had some pretty harsh words towards Ryan. Colt King is guy that I respect as a competitor. But you have to remember a hockey team is made up of 20+ guys a season. Each guy with different personality traits, wants, and needs. I haven’t been on team yet where everyone likes or gets along with the coach, nor have I been on a team where the coach likes or gets along with all the players they bring in. It’s just the way the business is.  With all that said my personal experience with Ryan is extremely positive.
On the ice he is straightforward with what he expects from you and if you do the job expected of you life is good. Ryan holds his players to a high standard, which is partly the reason for our “unexpected success” this season. I respect him when he’s tough on players, myself included because it’s not personal it’s simply how a coach and a leader needs to be to get the best out of his team.
Off the ice I haven’t had any hiccups either. In fact he has gone above and beyond what our initial negotiations were.
When Finner asked me to be part of his vision in Braehead it was an easy decision.




Finally, is there anything you want to say to the Steelers fans?
Thank you for your support last season. I wasn’t sure what the response was going to be coming from Cardiff the year before. Even playing in Braehead this season you have shown me the once a Steeler always a Steeler mentality, regardless of how long or short you were there for. There aren’t too many players that get to play for a fan base like that.
Lastly, I don’t wish your team any luck for the rest of season :) #PurpleArmy
Huge thank you to Chris. He can be found on Twitter at @Chrisfrank2206.

We want your recommendations for who to interview. We have a couple lined up but we want your opinions! Leave a message on the Frozen Steel Forum, email frozen.steel.91@gmail.com or tweet us at the following @s

@FrozenSteelBlog
@IAmMcCausland
@AwkwardGinge
@TomWalkeden

No comments: