Friday 24 April 2015

The Duell Report - Dissecting Tony's interview and the departure of G



I was about to go for lunch on Monday when Mitch at work dropped me a work message. "Mark, have you seen the news?" was his opening gambit. Of course I hadn't so I told him firmly in the negative. Then he sent me the link. I was like er, what the heck? In fact, I spent my lunch break wondering what I had just read and trying to make head or tail of sense of it. Then the more I thought about it, the pieces started to click and they definitely started to emerge in a clearer picture once I heard Tony's interview on BBC Radio Sheffield.

The decision has split a number of us, and that's to be expected. Let's try to explain why I think this is the right way forward. My thoughts won't please you all, but then again this is my view from my soapbox. I give you two reasons off the top of my head, but we all know there could be more.

Reason number 1: Results and Performance

Yes we won the Elite League for the first time in 4 seasons, but by gosh we were very fortunate to do so. Nobody should go and win this with 13 losses on their record; to win the league with 74 points and that amount of regulation defeats shows how bad the league was. Everyone had a freak result or two in their record and although some say it proved how competitive the EIHL was: I digress. I mean come on, Hull winning 6-1 in the NIC? That's a prime example of a freak result.

G also was out thought on numerous occasions by opposing coaches, and when you struggle to find a Plan B then it reflects in a bad performance. Two of these notable occasions came in two massive games, namely the Challenge Cup and Play-Off Finals. For 40 minutes in both games, we were given a lesson on how to play from start to finish. We had to play desperate hockey to catch up, and in both cases - fell short.

Reason number 2: The impending Under 20 team

Tony cited this has something that is happening soon, and that the job of Sheffield Steelers Head Coach has expanded beyond the original remit which G was appointed on. He feels G cannot take the team further based on the abilities he has and what Tony wants. I foresee that the new coach will probably have to have a great background in developing promising talents and making them better hockey players. So who does this mean? It's certainly not going to be Peter Russell; the GB coach; as Tony has ruled him out already. Could it be a return to the Elite for Paul Thompson? That's an interesting thought. Guess he'd have to sever his Coventry ties completely if he was appointed.

Or is it someone else? We will know before the Champions Hockey League draw takes place in Prague on 13 May. One thing I ask of you all: we have to stick together through this latest decision, and give whoever succeeds G - our backing.


Another couple of things that struck me listening to the interview was the subject of the Steeldogs connection and the steps back and forward comment. I guess I wasn't alone with this. Looking at both objectively, it seems like Tony has a plan in mind to make Sheffield the new hotbed of hockey talent. Yeah the first announcement was met with some derision from current Dogs fans on Facebook. One claimed this: "Yawn, heard it all before. Seriously would be a good idea, but would have been a good idea for the last 10 years. Still waiting." whilst another said: "They want EVERYTHING and they want it NOW!!!"

Jesus, what are they on? All Tony is wanting for Sheffield hockey to be united under one umbrella instead of the split which currently exists. We're not wanting you to turn your back on the Dogs; if you want to watch them then that's your choice but wouldn't it be good to have a bit of continuity like they do down the road from juniors to semi-pro to full time pros? That's what I reckon Tony's after. Is that too hard to stomach? I don't think it is.

Finally, the "We might have in fairness have to take one or steps back to take three or four forward" comment. This strikes me that Tony is prepared to see the new plan be a work in progress and isn't a quick fix process. After Gerad did admit after the Final that in his eyes we had "overachieved" in 2015; and the League title was a surprise when considering the last 6 weeks of the season, we played two imports down. Do you remember that? Next season I can see being a bit of transition year especially with the CHL happening too. But then again who can predict what will happen next? Nobody has all the answers, not even Tony, so just swallow your pride and keep supporting the team (whoever is in it). That's what I am doing, are you?

See you in a few weeks. Time Out called!


Mark

Thanks for reading guys. If you want to get involved please contact us on twitter or find us on Facebook and like us and leave a comment:-
@FrozenSteelBlog
@TomWalkeden
@FrozenSteelMNL
@hockeybhoy
@RatedRDG

Check out the Frozen Steel Podcast

Check out the Frozen Steel Match Night Talk Show

Or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

No comments: