Friday 21 March 2014

Frozen Steel Meets: Tylor Michel

Last season, Canadian forward Tylor Michel came in like a whirlwind to the Motorpoint Arena, making a positive impression on fans for his silky skills and never say die attitude.

Tylor moved on at the end of the season, but left behind a host of fans who he wowed during his year in orange. I spoke to him earlier this week, on an off day from his new team, the Brampton Beast.


FSB: You first came to the Elite League with Cardiff in 2009. What were your two years there like? If I remember rightly you were part of the team that took the Giants to a shootout in the Playoff Final, and the following year took the Steelers to the final day for the league title?
Tylor Michel: I really enjoyed my two years playing in Cardiff. I think Cardiff is a great city that offers great night life and many things to do.

Both my years in Cardiff we were extremely close to being champions. My first year we lost in a shootout in the playoff finals. I'm uncertain if the rule's are the same, however I know most if not all players think deciding a championship in a shootout is foolish.

My second year in Cardiff we had a sick team and we set a Guiness World Record for the most consecutive wins for a professional team (22 I believe). I think it has been broken since but unfortunately for myself we needed one more point to break the tie between Sheffield. Sheffield had more wins in regulations that season, so they ended up being named champions even though both teams were tied in points. I personally wish we could have played 1 game to settle that tie.

That year we also had heart break in the playoff finals against the Panthers. Two separate times we had two goal leads and they came back to beat us. Pretty crazy that I could have had 3 championships playing in Cardiff.  


FSB: While in Cardiff, you worked under current Steelers coach Gerad Adams. What's he like as a coach? Do you think he's a good fit for Sheffield in the long term? 
TM: I played for G. for two years in Cardiff. I think we had a good player/coach relationship. He expects guys to play to their best each game. I do believe Gerad would be a great fit in Sheffield long term.  

FSB: After a year in Sweden, you came back to the UK and signed for the Steelers. What convinced you to come back?
TM: Truthfully a big part of me coming back to the UK was because my wife would be able to work for one and also it's a much easier transition when the country speaks English. That being said, I took the contract because I felt I would have a great opportunity to win my first pro championship. The championship didn't come into fruition but I certainly love my time there. My wife and I were treated first class! 

FSB: What were the highs and lows of playing for the Steelers, and playing in the UK in general? Any outstanding memories of your time here? 
TM: Beating Nottingham at home during Christmas was a pretty big high that year. That being said we players thought more of that team. I thought we had a championship quality team and losing in finals of the challenge cup and losing in the first round of playoffs was a big low for us.

FSB: What was Ryan Finnerty like as a coach?
TM: Finner is a lot like G in the regard that he just wants guys to battle their asses off. If I'm ever a coach I'm going to expect guys to compete each night. Guys are always going to have off games but I see no reason to not compete out there.  

FSB: Who were your closest friends in the dressing room? Do you keep in touch with any of last season's team?
TM: I got along with everyone on the team last year. I have stayed in touch with Limper and Stevie the most. 

FSB: Were you offered the chance to come back? If so, why did you choose to move on? If not, would you have done?
TM: Yes I was offered a contract to return to the UK but playing close to home was too much to turn down. It’s been really nice playing in my home country.

FSB: Do you think there's any chance of you returning to the Elite League?
TM: Yes there’s always a chance.

FSB: Would you recommend other players to test themselves in the Elite League? What did you make of the league? And the officials?
TM: I have recommended the EIHL to some players in the past. I think it’s an underrated league but also a league that help develop players. Unfortunately the EIHL has a poor reputation around Europe. It’s documented how I feel about the officiating. However, I will say that every league has bad officials in my opionion. 

FSB: Who do you consider the best player you've played with, overall in your career?
TM: Half of this season I played with Rob Collins. He played a little bit in the NHL and over the last little while he’s made a nice living in the DEL. What a great player. He has the ability to slow the game down and make the others around him better. 

FSB: What's the funniest thing you've seen on the ice? What about the best chirp you've heard?TM: Most of the chirps are pretty lame and lack originality. This year a player on my team was chirped for having grey hair. He responded to the bald coach who made the chirp “you can’t dye bald” Coach had no rebuttal. 

FSB: What's your views of the UK hockey fanbase?
TM: Amazing, awesome, intense! I was so surprised how passionate hockey fans are in the UK. 

FSB: Do you think players, particularly imports, are valued more in the UK, due to the small pool of players we have, unlike the US where there are hundreds, if not thousands, of players? 
TM: I think imports are valued more in the UK.  That’s no disrespect to the British players. 

FSB: You have a high-paced, hard hitting, energetic style of play which endeared you to many Steelers fans. Do you intend on changing this at any point to prolong your career or do you think you'll be like this until you retire?
TM: I’ve been playing tenacious all my life and I’ll definitely end my career playing the same way. My dad instilled in me the importance of working hard in everything you do in life. I’m very grateful that he taught me to earn your success. 

FSB: What are your plans for retirement? Do you want to stay in the game or will you look elsewhere?
TM: At this moment I’m not sure what life after hockey is going to look like. I will likely pursue becoming a police officer or a fire fighter. 

FSB: Do you have any message for the Steelers fans?
TM: I hope the Steelers fans enjoy a sweet championship in the near future. I’ve said it many times but I’ll say it again. I’m grateful for the first class treatment!

A big thank you to Tylor for taking the time out during the business end of the season to answer our questions. Also thank you to users of both the Frozen Steel Forum and Steeltalk for contributing questions to ask Tylor.

We hope to bring you more interviews very soon, we have a couple in the pipeline that we hope to get done and in the can.

No comments: