Tuesday 25 March 2014

The View From On High - Hull (a) 23/3/14

So with everything else I tried to organise (and failed with) for Sunday, would you believe a hockey game actually took place?

It was a barnstormer too, with lots of physicality and a pretty skilful game, just what I needed for the couple of newbies who came with us.

Lets look at it a bit deeper.

Dead rubber?
If there was nothing to play for, nobody had told the team. A committed display from top to bottom, with nobody giving any quarter, fighting for every puck, and everyone standing up for their teammates and themselves. It was a delight to see. The performance level was also there, and on a different day, with a bit more luck, we'd have won that game by 2 or 3. Granted, I've not been to many games this season, but that was the best I've seen us play.

The Ref...
Two sentences on this. Mike Hicks is bloody terrible as a referee. I hope that this summer course that the offficials will be going on will teach him a few things, because he had zero control over that game.

Desire
We had the desire to win. We created many chances and played a good, hard, physical game. But Hull had more to play for, and had that bit more desire to win, and good on them. They deserve their playoff place.

Netminders
Ben Bowns continues to impress me, continues to make me want him in a Steelers jersey. He was well protected by his D, but he again made save after save after save. Frank Doyle had a solid game in our goal, but gave up a few rebounds that another day he'd have liked back.

Jason Hewitt
Here we go Jason, its in print now, this post won't be getting deleted. You were my man of the match on Sunday. Typified everything good about our performance. Special mention to Stefan Meyer for being a workhorse, but I was very impressed with Hewitt.

Everybody take a deep breath after seeing me put that into print.

Playoff Chances
Last time I saw the Steelers, we had just capitulated in the NIC in the CC semi. This was about 100x better. I fancy our chances in the quarters. The weekend is a crap shoot, but I think we'll have enough to overcome Coventry over two legs.

And that will do. Any comments or questions, get in touch via the usual methods.

Liam

@IAmMcCausland
@FrozenSteelBlog
@TomWalkeden
@AwkwardGinge

No comments: