Saturday 19 April 2014

Fans Of Steel: Jade Fox


I'm sure you'll all be aware of the story of Jade Fox, the girl who had her hair shaved by Drew Fata for Cancer Research.


Well I decided it would be unjust if we weren't to cover her in some way, so I spoke to her mother Ruth about Jade's good deed, and what she had in store next.


How long have you been going to the Steelers, and how long have you been taking Jade? What made you go to a game in the first place?

We went to our first game in November - I wanted to find something to do as a family and after looking at various things including football etc we decided to give Ice Hockey a try as it was quite close and easy to get to - [it] was quite cheap compared to football - and it was also inside which was a bonus as I didn't fancy stood outside for hours. All the family - me, husband and 3 kids (2 boys age 3 and 6 and Jade 11) - came to the first game, my husband enjoyed it but was totally engrossed and the boys thought it was too loud and too late at night - me and Jade loved it so we made it mummy and daughter time and went to every home game since.

What gave her the idea to shave her head, and why cancer research?

Jade saw a young boy having his shaved by a rugby player on Look north and commented that she would have hers done if Drew did it. I posted a comment on twitter and Facebook simply saying she was crazy for wanting to do it - but we got a tremendous response, even from Look North and the Steelers, and everyone was willing to sponsor and support Jade if she went ahead. We chose Cancer Research as my husband's cousin had just been diagnosed with breast cancer so Breast Cancer UK was our first choice, but after so discussion we decided on Cancer Research as it covers every cancer and would be a better charity for everyone who has dealt with cancer and not just one type. 

How helpful were the club? I know Drew did it, but were they welcoming to the idea?

The club was very supportive. I first approached Neil Edwards after a player signing event, he was super helpful and enthusiastic and asked me to email him the details. At the next game we were invited to the players lounge after the game and meet Drew who was very keen to help and actually wanted to do it there and then. After much planning with Neil, Mike and Drew we finally made it happen. all the players were great and some came into the room while she was having it done, and a lot have complemented her afterwards, even Drew's partner said what a brave girl she was.

[I must] say how help full cancer research UK was - after I set up the Just Giving page I was e-mailed with details of my own personal charity help who was quick to reply to e mails and was happy to send out promotional stuff like balloons. t shirt, posters etc.

What has she got planned next?

Ha ha - she actually said she wanted to enter the arena on a rope like the marines did when they came to a game.

We commend Jade on having a massive amount of courage to do such an act for a great cause, and thank Ruth for her time, and providing us with some photos to include. You can still donate to Jade's fundraising by visiting http://www.justgiving.com/jadefox



No comments: