Friday 18 April 2014

What Is A Fan?

Something that has been consistently thrown at me since I started writing the blog has been that I'm not a real fan.

There's been a number of reasons for this. I don't live in Sheffield. I don't go to every game. I slate the players when I should be getting behind them. I'm not 100% committed because I didn't bankrupt myself to get to the playoffs.

It got me thinking about the idea of support and being a fan. What truly makes you a fan of a sports team?


Is a fan somebody who gets rowdy and makes a lot of noise at games? Is it somebody who attends every game no matter what the cost? Is it somebody who refuses to see the bad in the team and blindly supports them no matter what? Is it somebody who writes on forums, buys all the merchandise, hangs around waiting for selfies with the players? Is it somebody who starts a blog...? The best answer I can give is: "It can be."

At hockey matches, or even at football games, I make a lot of noise. I shout out praise and reprimand in equal measure. I start chants. It's not because I like to make a fuss of myself, it's because I'm very passionate about the cause, and I let that come out of my in a very vocal manner - sometimes to fear of my father, who thinks I'm going to get kicked out of Sunderland games for calling them all "gutless, spineless, useless b******s."

Does this make me any less of a fan than the person next to me who sits quietly and takes in the game? I don't think so. You can support a team by just being at the game. Yes, you can be passionate and create an atmosphere, but there's also nothing wrong with sitting and observing, applauding and critiquing where you see fit. If that's how you choose to provide your support, so be it. I'd love a huge, bouncing, rowdy atmosphere at Steelers games, but you have to respect those who choose to do otherwise.

When I first started watching the Steelers, I was at university in Sunderland. Even though my girlfriend at the time had a season ticket and was travelling down every week, there was no way I could afford to. This meant, even to her, I couldn't have a proper opinion and wasn't "as much of a fan" as her.

The same is said now - I live 90 miles away and work in care where I'm not guaranteed every weekend off - there's no way I could commit to a season ticket. By the time I've spent petrol money, and ticket money, and tea, you're looking at £40 if I was to travel myself. Do that 20+ times a year and its £800 I can put towards a house. I come down when I can. My friend Simon, due to work commitments, can only make two games a season, if he's lucky. But he loves the Steelers and keeps up to date with all the results and roster changes. It was his idea to do the Scarborough Steel Legion and create the banner. Tell me he's not a fan because he doesn't go to every game.

Does the fact that I don't, and can't, make every game make me any less of a fan than the person who goes to all games, home and away?

I also get accused of not being a "real fan" because I slag the team off. Apparently seeing the negatives in a performance means I'm not a proper fan and should get behind the team. This was most prominent in the Challenge Cup semi final in the NIC. God that was awful. The main gripe was the way I spoke of Frank Doyle's performance, which was awful.

Now if I'd said Doyle had been terrible all season, I'd probably agree with the arguments. But I didn't. He was having an off game and I said as such. "Have you missed every other game he's performed well in?" No I hadn't. "He's been superb all season, get off his back!" I wasn't on his back. I said he wasn't playing well that night. "You have a go at it if you think you'd be any better!" No, I don't. I'm not a professional netminder who gets paid for doing the job. He is. "You're always slagging the team off!" When they deserve it, sure. And that night they all deserved it. But I was also full of praise for the performance in Hull at the end of the season, and on Boxing Day, and in the playoffs.

My analytical mind - something I've always had - sees the positives and negatives in everything. It allows me to make a fair assessment of situations. I give praise when deserved, and also dish out harsh truths when they're needed.

I love a good bit of merchandise. I've got 5 Steelers jerseys, a Calgary Flames jersey, endless Sunderland shirts, a Black Cat keyring, a Steelers jersey keyring, 2 Steelers phone cases, a Steelers t-shirt, a Steelers foam finger, a Steelers miniscarf and minishirt for my car, both Steelers and Sunderland windscreen stickers, lots of photos bought from the club, and endless posters from both. I also have several homemade items for both teams, such as "the daft hat" (thank you Mr Dowson) and the makeshift phonecase that I stuck a Steelers logo on because they don't make a purpose made one for my phone. It's a part of my passion, I have my loves and I like to show them off.

Does this make me any better of a fan than the person in the row in front who's showed up in jeans and a tshirt? No, not in any way. They've chosen not to buy all these things, but they're still at games showing their support. There are countless other places they could spend their evenings but they've chosen to go to the hockey, and they have to be applauded for that.

There's no easy answer to the question "what is a fan?" There are so many different ways of showing support, of being a supporter, of considering yourself a fan, that you can't just pinpoint one thing. But in the next paragraph, I will try.

Have you ever bought a ticket for an ice hockey game? Or have you had a ticket bought for you and wanted to go back? You're a fan. Welcome aboard.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Utterly brilliant Liam!

I became a fan by supporting my sons love and passion for the Steelers!

We go to home matches as and when we can afford to as a family!

You are so passionate and honestly those who make a judgement about your "fan status" really don't know you!

Unknown said...

It really doesn't matter what other people think. If you're elated when they win, and feel sick to the stomach when they loose, your a fan. This is also how I feel about the N Y Islanders and I've never even seen them play. If anyone asks who I support I tell them proudly the Steelers and Islanders.

PBest78 said...

Brilliant article, couldn't agree more, doesn't matter how loud you shout, how much merchandise you own, or if you criticise when required or blindly believe they can do no wrong, if you love the team and honestly want them to do well, then you're a fan