Tuesday 15 April 2014

Ryan Gleeson: Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

Competition winner Ryan Gleeson put on his writing cap and evaluated this season's team.

Firstly, I’d like to introduce myself; my name is Ryan Gleeson (@RatedRDG on Twitter), I am a 20 year old media student who has a passion for Ice Hockey. I am a Sheffield Steelers supporter of the EIHL and also a Toronto Maple Leaf of the NHL (Make your jokes now, go on..).

So, why am I writing this for Frozen Steel you may ask? Well I just like to get people’s opinions and generally chat about hockey, and why not start here? Speaking of which I would like to thank Liam for giving me the opportunity to post this, much appreciated.

So what am I going to cover today? Well, it’s simple. Who would you keep from this years Steelers roster? I’m going to give you my thoughts and then we can all discuss them, I want to know your opinions too! So without further ado, let’s get cracking.


Uni Deals;
Doyle, Baldwin and Kohn. 100% yes on all three. Now, if you’d have asked me near November time, I’d have happily said no to all three. Doyle wasn’t very solid, Baldwin hadn’t found his feet and Kohn seemed a little soft. BUT; after November/December time, Baldwin and Doyle, well, didn’t they come out swinging? Honestly two of my favourite players to wear Steelers jerseys last year. As for Kohn? Playoffs and before after he found his legs, showed that he is one of the fastest and smartest out there. So to put it simply, yes, all three, I am happy with!

Brits;
Dowd – I don’t think this is a fair question. If you ever need to question if you want a premier brit in your squad... You’re in trouble. The golden child himself makes this one an easy one, yes. No details needed, he is Robert Dowd.

Phillips – Jono is an absolute workhorse. A loyal servant to his team and don’t we see it? One of the most hardworking guys on that roster, if not in the league. I feel like Jono would be THE hardest Brit to replace if we do lose him, not too many like him is there? It’s a yes from me.

Hewitt – For me, Jason has improved a lot this season. I thought he went missing a couple season before, but this year, oh my, did he prove a lot of people wrong. Not afraid to get punched in the face or cross checked in the back. Back to the good old days, or so it felt when watching Jason this year. I’d keep him.

Thomas – Long-time servant of the club, Thommo will be around next season. I just hope his injury clears up in time and he gets to full strength in the off season. I know of a few people who don’t like Thomas, but I genuinely think he has also stepped up his game before the injury. I’d welcome him back with open arms.

Meyers – Again, a premier brit. Danny will be back next year and that makes me happy. British D-men aren’t particularly easy to come by, but we have 2 good ones, let’s keep ‘em! Plus, who are the fans going to sing THAT song to if he doesn’t?!

Nell – Loved him in a Swindon jersey, not so much in a Steelers one. Nelly often strikes me as a player that is too good for EPL but doesn’t get enough ice time when home jumps to the EIHL. I think he’d fit in better at somewhere like Hull or Dundee, where he’d probably get frequent ice time.

Hill – What a season for Hilly. All the mess that went off down at the bay, to winning and EIHL Playoff Final with his buddy and coach. I’d take him back every day of the week. Knows his job, does it effectively and is a big body. Wouldn’t be shocked if he didn’t stay, but I would like him to!

Woolhouse – Just get fit Geoff, please. 

Imports;
Langlais – Personally not. I do love how fast he is and how well he can get back just as quick. I do think however, we can get a little better than Langer, no disrespect as I really do like him, but a fresh change at that back end wouldn’t go a miss.

Fata – THAT guy who scored THAT goal. Drew has created the memory everyone in the NIC that night will share forever. That experience was immense, however we are going to struggle to keep hold of Drew I feel. Now he has finished his Uni term, I think he will be off. Obviously because of THAT goal it’s disappointing, but I feel like Baldwin can step up and be the big guy at the back now.

Meyer – I’ve said on camera to Liam before, very Ryan Finnerty-esque. Strong on the board, not afraid to go in any area of the rink. Stefan has been a delight to watch since day one and if it’s down to cash that we can’t re-sign him, I say we all chip in and help, because dear god, we need him here next year.

Legue – Firstly, what a terrible injury. Being in the skydome at the time, you could have cut the tension with a knife. So much concern for the guy that has been an absolute beauty in the EIHL. Year after year we have depended on Jeff to get the goals only he knows how, and he does. A lot of talk about him not being the player he once was, in recent seasons, and I don’t know where I stand with that. For every bad point I think about Leggy, I can think of 2 good ones. Really unsure where I stand about having him back though.

Lacroix – Rumoured today to be going to France. Tough one to replace, especially considering his numbers and potentials if he was fit all season. If he does eventually go, and I have no doubt he will, it leaves a gap, which I hope we can fill. I’d love to keep Maxy, but just cannot see it happening. Too big of a price tag on guys like him!

DiCasmirro – Top guy, great player; but is the type of player we can change if needed I think. I really think Nate is brilliant and a pleasure to see on the ice and I have nothing but respect for him, but I feel a move back to Italy is on his cards, and I can’t really blame him.

Goertzen – Our captain. Not even going to big him up, someone persuade Sam to let him stay. If there is anyone I want back the most, it’s the our captain.

Spencer – Smart player, useful player but I think we can find a replacement if need be. A fan favourite, and we can all see why, but I think that Tim may be off, and I do think we can fill the gap. (I mean, wasn’t #45 thinking about coming back, let’s get on the phone to him again please)

Blight – Same as Hill really. Knows the job, does it. I like Blight and really wish we could have had him from the start, but thanks Cardiff. Honestly think he was the player we needed at the time of his arrival and he has done nothing but impress me since. I’d welcome him back.

So there is a bit of what I think! (And I stress, it is what I think, no fact, just opinion. I mean, lets be fair, I want everyone back, but someone has to go don’t they?) What about you?! Get at me on Twitter with your opinions and as always keep reading FSB!
Signing Off

Ryan Gleeson (@RatedRDG)

No comments: