Tuesday 15 April 2014

We Are The Adams Family

Right, no telling me off for that headline. It encapsulates the whole feeling that has hit the club since G signed his 6 week deal in February, and today's signature is the icing on what has been a very nice cake.

I think if I'd been writing last year, I could pretty much copy and paste what I'd have written about Doug Christiansen into here. The signature of Gerad Adams on a 2 year deal is a signal of intent from the Steelers. Adams has great experience in this league, and has been in charge of some very good sides in the past.

Where the two differ though, is the obvious changes in the style of coach.

Doug has a great hockey brain. He is very clinical with his approach - he has his tactical systems and makes lots of plans for his teams. He appears very structured and while that worked (at least in terms of winning games) at Belfast, it just didn't come off in Sheffield.

I don't want to say that Adams doesn't have a plan, because I don't believe that to be the case at all. I think he has an idea of what he wants his team to do, but then lets them work around that. The difference was evident in the performances since G's arrival - the team looked like they were allowed to play their own game again, and looked a lot happier for it.

We also know G's style - its the intense, hard hitting hockey that we like to pay to watch. If he can deliver, he'll have a very happy fanbase.

I also think the move behind the bench following his retirement will help G as a coach - instead of doing 2 jobs, he can focus on the playing, which you only have to ask Panthers fans as to how much that matters after the success they enjoyed when Corey hung up the skates.

The main difference? The almost universal acceptance of G. There was a definite split in the fanbase about the signing of Doug which isn't there this summer. It can only be a good thing.

I'm very excited.

Welcome to Sheffield G.

No comments: