Monday 15 September 2014

The View From Block 105...ish - Fife 14/9/14


Finally, we’re here, the season. I am pleased to bring you the first of many article of The View from Block 105. In this case though, it is the view from Block 10 in Ice Sheffield.

Unfortunately we had to spend our Sunday evening in our “en suite” to quote the voice of the white house. Let’s ignore where we were though, let’s look at the game!


This was my first live game of the season having missed the previous encounter in Ice Sheffield; so to say I was excited was an understatement. Got in there just before face off, drums already banging and people already chanting. Dear god it was great to be back.

The players gave us some stuff to cheer about too quite early on; Fretter with his first goal in Orange. That goal left me stunned. I’m not kidding when I say that I sat there for good couple of seconds afterwards just trying to comprehend how brilliant those passes and lead up was. The second goal wasn’t as pretty, but it was a well worked goal that we certainly deserved.

Fife did try to crawl back with a goal from the blue line, it seemed to just bobble over Doyle’s pads. That was the only time they were able to celebrate though. We soon put an end to their hopes of an equaliser when Fretter again scores to make it 3-1. The third goal was well worked and just as beautiful as the first. I was honestly stunned by how good we were in the first period and it surely couldn’t get better? Could it?

Of course it could! Another 2 goals came in the second, one from Forney and one from Big Phil Hill. We still looked brilliant in that period too. Not once did we take our feet off the gas and that was great to see. The third brought us 3 more goal, Didiomete, Latulippe and Baldwin were the scorers. I’ll not go into detail about the goals, but all 3 of them were deserved and we gave Fife an absolute schooling.

For my first live game, I have to say, I don’t think it could have gone any better (Unless I won the 50/50 of course). The main things I took from the game were that our top line are sensational. Every time they get the puck, something happens. The look like they’ve played together for months, not weeks. Even though we were down 3 guys (Thomas and Mosienko to suspension and Morency to injury) we did not look it.

Stand out player for me; I honestly can’t pick. Fretter and Forney were the most skilful out there, but I dare say Jonathan Phillips would be my pick, maybe. What kind of guy has an operation on his appendix and literally 2 weeks later, laces them up and battles with the likes of Matt Nickerson? Jonno, that’s who. The guy led from the front all night and you wouldn’t even notice that he had the operation!

One thing I was disappointed in was how Fife played. They weren’t the Fife that played the night before, they had no urgency or effort for many of the minutes passed. It’s a shame because I always enjoy watching Fife play, they had an entertaining team last season, and this season they seem to, hey just didn’t show it last night.

The tough test is this coming weekend, both Nottingham and Belfast. I think 4 points are possible, very much so, but I’d be happy with 3. We will see if our boys can match up with the best the league has to offer. I for one, cannot wait to see Nathan Robinson play in person (If I make it to Notts) because dear god that guy has talent for days.

Overall, WHAT A GAME. HOCKEY IS BACK BABY!

What were your thoughts on Sunday’s game? Were you there? Which player stood out for you the most? Tweet us @FrozenSteelBlog and @RatedRDG with your response! As always, thank you for reading, and I will hopefully have another article for you next Monday after we have played Belfast! Fingers crossed it’s a view from block 105!

Ryan Gleeson
@RatedRDG
@FrozenSteelBlog

No comments: