Saturday 11 October 2014

The Walkeden Review - Getting Into Hockey With Jamie Morgan


With season underway I was thinking to myself about how we get more people introduced to the sport and me being from a little town called Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire isn’t always the best I mean I love where I’m from but we don’t have an Ice Rink I mean think of the children growing up without an Ice Rink so there missing out on an amazing sport. My story of getting into this amazing sport is a long one but I’ve got many people into the game as a lot of my friends over the years were like what are watching on a weekend and so I bring them along one of them in fact has got a season ticket now. This time out I spoke to Jamie Morgan who is mad about his football and I invited him along two games and he obliged and here is a brief interview with a very good friend of mine.

FSB - Being from a town that isn’t known for Ice Hockey what was your first impressions on the game?
JM - I wasn't sure what I was going to think at first but as soon as the action got underway I was absolutely glued to the ice rink and the action. My first ice hockey match was down the road for me in Hull coming from Scunthorpe and to be fair to say Hull is a fairly big city I was surprised at how small their arena was but they did win the match 5-1 so I thought I was a bad jinx for the Sheffield Steelers ha-ha. That was until I saw them defeat Hull 3-1 in Sheffield.

FSB - What or who got you into Hockey?
JM - To be honest I was more of a casual ice hockey fan who watched matches on TV really like the Olympics and the odd match in American League when it was on TV etc. My friend Tom Walkeden also showed me some clips of some Sheffield Steelers matches and I thought to myself "I so have to go and watch them play and see what it's like to see them live"

FSB - Do you remember the teams of your first games and where?
JM - On the television I watched USA v Canada in The Olympics a fair bit back and the game was intense you can tell there's a massive rivalry between the 2 countries. The first match I saw live as I mentioned earlier was Hull Stingrays v Sheffield Steelers last season.

FSB - Are you glad you went to an Ice Hockey game?
JM - Absolutely delighted that I went to an ice hockey game. I now appreciate the toughness of the game that the players go through and you can tell how passionate they are to be out on the rink and basically trying to bash anything out of the opposition nobody seems to take any prisoners for sure. I was also impressed with how the fans no matter who you support were sat together and there's no segregation and a wonderful change compared to football is that you can take alcohol through into the stands and have it by your seat.

FSB - Where do you think British Ice Hockey is going? Does it have the potential to become even bigger?
JM - At the moment I can't really say my knowledge isn’t top notch but compared to the bigger countries such as USA and Canada etc. we are a million miles away behind them in my opinion. I don't think there are enough rich people who quite believe that Ice Hockey is the sport to invest in compared to let’s say football and rugby in Britain. I think it has the potential to grow in Britain definitely but there has got to be more interest in the sport for me. I am not saying it's not well supported because that would be disrespectful to the fans of all the teams and believe me I am now following Sheffield Steelers for good and will be attending more matches in the future. As I say my knowledge about British Ice Hockey isn't fantastic at the moment so I do apologise if I have appeared to be wide of the mark in my opinion.

FSB - Have you got anything to say to someone that might be attending their first game?
JM - I will say this for anyone who hasn't been there yet get down to your local team or whoever you fancy following and supporting and get to a game. The atmosphere is brilliant the interaction with the fans from hosting teams is fantastic as I found out in Hull and Sheffield. You will enjoy the sport for what it is trust me as it is fantastic.


Thank you for reading and thank you to Jamie for taking the time to answer a few questions you can find Jamie on Twitter @JamieMorgan1989 so give him a follow! I plan on doing a few more of these in the near future. Also if there is anyone reading this that is from a town or a village around the Scunthorpe area etc. without a rink or without easy access please get in touch with me on twitter @TomWalkeden

so once again thanks for reading guys. Any questions or comments please get in contact with the Frozen Steel Team on this article, Facebook or via Twitter:-
@FrozenSteelBlog
@CausyFSB
@TomWalkeden
@FrozenSteelMNL
@RatedRDG

Check out the Frozen Steel Forum

or Email the team at frozen.steel.91@gmail.com

Tom
@TomWalkeden

No comments: