Monday 13 October 2014

Why I Am Thankful For Hockey


So we have all obviously seen the recent events regarding our fan base. Regarding a lot of negativity. (If you haven't, I envy you.) So what this post is, rather than an analysis of the game against Coventry last night, is a post specifically about why I, and a lot of others I know, love hockey, and what it gave me.

Firstly, something to do! I can't speak for everyone here, but my Saturday and Sunday evenings were pretty standard before I got into hockey. Just boring nights I'd spend being mind washed by the TV. Honestly, if it wasn't for hockey, I'd spend my weekends watching X-Factor or Britains Got Talent, and I for one do NOT want that. As well as that though, hockey on a weekend gives us something to look forward to, especially when we have a team like we do this year! I spend all week waiting for the next game, waiting until the next puck drop. It's what we do!

On a more personal level, I met my love at hockey. Now I am not going to go all soppy and into detail, but without hockey, I'd probably still be a single guy that never thought he'd be so lucky to have such an amazing person in his life. I dare say, I am not the only one that met my better half at hockey! Not just partners though, I met some amazing friends at hockey, friends I would hope are friends are lifers. We have similar interests and by god, banter. What would hockey be without fun, games and laughter? I can safely say that a lot of my friends, and their friends and so on, wouldn't have even met if it wasn't for hockey! Heck, Liam wouldn't trust me to be writing on his blog, if it wasn't for hockey!

Hockey gave me reason and purpose. It's not common knowledge, but I want to get into working in Ice Hockey once I have sorted my student life out. The end goal for me still isn't clear, but I know I want to work in the sport I love. Mixing worth with passion can only be a good thing right?

Finally, hockey gives us pleasure. Tell me you weren't pleased when Drew Fata scored the game winner last year? Exactly. For as much negativity that is currently surrounding our community, remember, we are all in that building for the same reason, we love hockey. As someone I can't remember the name of right now, once said, "Hockey isn't just a sport, it's a family, a religion." Let's all think about what we say to each other and how we behave right? 

What are YOU thankful for hockey for? Find us on Twitter: @FrozenSteelBlog @CausyFSB @TomWalkeden @FrozenSteelMNL @RatedRDG Join the conversation on the Frozen Steel Forum Or Like us on Facebook and talk about it on there.

Peace and Love
Ryan Gleeson



No comments: