Sunday 20 July 2014

Ashley Jones Talks With Frozen Steel About The All-Stars

With the UK Forum All-Stars weekend upon us I spoke with Ashley Jones about his involvement with weekend.

FSB - How long have you been involved in the UK Forum All-Stars? And why tell me your story?

AJ - This will be my second year playing in the all-stars after about 3 years of following the event. I've been a hockey fan since I was 15, and ever since, I've wanted to have a go. It's not been easy for me to do it as I didn't live close to a rink. The summer of 2011 I started to learn to skate, by myself, with no instruction. I was and still am shockingly poor is it's all a bit of fun for charity.

FSB - In your own words what does the All-Stars stand for?

AJ - It's stands for unity in my eyes. You have 100+ people coming together from all over the UK and in some cases, Europe, to unite in a common goal of raising money for charity and having a damn good time whilst doing it. It doesn't matter what skating skill you have...or lack it's all in good fun for a great goal.

FSB - What’s been your favourite memory to date?

AJ - Probably the overwhelming cheer and clap I received getting my medal last year. That was quite special.

FSB - Who are you representing this year! And has it any special significant to you?

AJ - I'm representing Dreams Come True for the second year running, a great charity that helps terminal and critically ill children achieve their dreams. It's significant to me as I suffer with all over body osteoarthritis, and I never thought I would be able to skate, let alone play a weekend of hockey. My dreams come true, and I've had mine realised, and I want to help others realise theirs.

FSB - Nearly 100k has been raised since the all-stars began I’m guessing the next target is 200k? And what do you think the total for this year will reach?

AJ - I think we will easily reach £32k this year, and I think the way the steady growth of fundraising has happened over the past 7 years, I think we will hit the 200k in the next 3...it looks hard, but in reality, I don't think it will be.

FSB - Why should people come down to Ice Sheffield at the weekend?

AJ - It's a great weekend that rivals the EIHL final weekend in my opinion. Plenty of fun, laughs and plenty of friendships to be made. And it's all for a great cause too with plenty of opportunities to win great prizes with plenty of raffle opportunities!

FSB - Finally what are your sponsorship details in a final bid to get you some more donations?

AJ - I reluctantly had to cut my total down in order to achieve it due to a very tough time fundraising. I managed to hit the £100 mark but obviously would LOVE to get more! My page is www.justgiving.com/ashleyjones94

Thank you for reading and thank you to Ashley for taking the time to answer a few questions you can find Ashley on Twitter @codick1 so give him a follow and give him some support and why not sponsor him a couple of quid while you’re at it!

Hope to see you at Ice Sheffield at the weekend!

Tom

@TomWalkeden

No comments: