Monday 21 July 2014

Geraint Walters Talks With Frozen Steel About The All-Stars

With the UK Forum All-Stars weekend upon us I spoke with Geraint Walters about his involvement with weekend.

FSB - How long have you been involved in the UK Forum All-Stars? And why tell me your story?

GW - I got involved in 2010 out of the blue really as myself and some mates were on a public skate in Cardiff just before the ice was being cut ready for the All-Stars weekend. I was speaking to some people involved by the BBQ that was happening by the changing rooms and stuck around to watch before offering to help for future years.

FSB - In your own words what does the All-Stars stand for?

GW - For me, the All-Stars is about the charity. Supporting charities playing the sport you love is possibly the best thing you can do. It’s a great feeling to know you’ve helped someone, somewhere who are affected.

FSB - What’s been your favourite memory to date?

GW - I think the best memory was last year when we got quite a bit of corporate sponsorship in as well as passing £30k milestone. Was also an honour to receive the Grant-Hubback award at Sheffield 2013.

FSB - Who are you representing this year! And has it any special significant to you?

GW - I will be representing British Heart Foundation this year as it’s something close to many people but also close to me as my grandfather passed away with heart disease before I was born. It’s a terrible disease and something that needs to be supported more.

Last year I played for Prostate Cancer UK as someone close to the hockey family in Cardiff was diagnosed with it and we thought it was good for us to show him support by us representing them. We also got a shirt made for him with name and number and got the whole team to sign the shirt despite them not knowing him which made him up when we presented it to him.

If you’re ever in Cardiff for a game, keep an eye out for a Prostate Cancer UK Shirt and that’s the guy we supported.

FSB - Nearly 100k has been raised since the all-stars began I’m guessing the next target is 200k? And what do you think the total for this year will reach?

GW - £200k is a long way away but yes it’s a goal we have for the next few years. As I look after the fundraising side of the weekend, we’re at £26500 right now and before the weekend, I expect us to be close to £30k if last year’s final week is anything to go by and around £40k hopefully after the weekend itself.

FSB - Why should people come down to Ice Sheffield at the weekend?

GW - There are many reasons for people to attend the weekend. The biggest being to support the charities. Also support the players and get back into the flow of watching hockey again ahead of the new season. It’s a great weekend which I’m proud to be part of and despite the amount of work and time we put in, when you look back; you know it’s worth it.

FSB - Finally what are your sponsorship details in a final bid to get you some more donations?

GW - From my previous post, I’m raising money for British Heart Foundation this year and £45 short of my £1500 target.

Thank you for reading and thank you to Geraint Walters for taking the time to answer a few questions you can find Geraint on Twitter @FarmerG5 so give him a follow and give him some support and why not sponsor him a couple of quid while you’re at it!

Hope to see you at Ice Sheffield at the weekend!

Tom
@TomWalkeden

No comments: