Thursday 24 July 2014

Thomas Martin Talks With Frozen Steel About The All-Stars

With the UK Forum All-Stars weekend upon us I spoke with Thomas Martin about his involvement with weekend.

FSB - How long have you been involved in the UK Forum All-Stars? And why tell me your story?

TM - I first heard about the All-Stars 5 years ago from a few friends who took part in the original weekend and signed straight up to take part in Cardiff 2010 where I played for Breast Cancer Care with a team of 6 other players (one who was another goalie!) and finished dead last. Despite the result though we all had a great time and made lots of new friends and nothing was going to stop me signing back up for the next three years where I played for the Help for Heroes team.

FSB - In your own words what does the All-Stars stand for?

TM - The All-Stars to me is all about the UK hockey community showing how fantastic everyone involved with our sport is. The support for beginner players is great, the banter between the more advanced guys, the fun everyone has all weekend and of course how eager everyone is to do something good and raise money for charity that not only are there 8 teams full of players but a waiting list to get into the event too! Hockey fans and players really are something special.

FSB - What’s been your favourite memory to date?

TM - Having won the trophy in 2011 for Help for Heroes I thought this would be an easy question to answer but it’s not that straight forward! I loved winning but the memory that sticks out the most for me is in my first year in Cardiff when we tried to give one of our tired players a rest by pulling a forward for the extra goalie! One of the most ridiculous 5 minutes of hockey you’d ever see but we couldn’t stop laughing, it was great!

FSB - Who are you representing this year! And has it any special significant to you?

TM - This year is special for me as I’ve been picked as the Captain for the team representing the Blue Cross, I’ve been bugging Dave Grant for years to include a charity which benefits animals and he really couldn’t have picked a better one. They care for ill, injured and unwanted pets all over the UK as well as supporting owners who need help or advice even helping those who have just lost a pet.

FSB - Nearly 100k has been raised since the all-stars began I’m guessing the next target is 200k? And what do you think the total for this year will reach?

TM - Yeah the next big milestone after £100k will be £200k but really the target is always going to be for everyone to put in as much effort as they can to raise as much as they can, not everyone will manage to raise £500 but it’s great seeing some of the imaginative ways people raise money from the 505 ride going on at the moment to me wearing a Crosby jersey last year or players dying their hair, anything goes and I’m sure this year will be another record breaker!

FSB - Why should people come down to Ice Sheffield at the weekend?

TM - The quality of the hockey may not be the best but there will be plenty of fun to be had and there are also auctions and raffles with some great items up for grabs!

FSB - Finally what are your sponsorship details in a final bid to get you some more donations?

TM - If you can head over to:-
·        Or text BLUX90 and £3 to 70070
The best bit of news is my company are doubling the amount I’ve raised so your support will be much appreciated!

Thank you for reading and thank you to Thomas Martin for taking the time to answer a few questions you can find Thomas on Twitter @Thomas_o_martin so give him a follow and give him some support and why not sponsor him a couple of quid while you’re at it!

Hope to see you at Ice Sheffield at the weekend!

Tom

@TomWalkeden

No comments: